GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 06 chevy silverado 5.3L making weird tappin noise

i have a 2006 chevy silverado, 5.3l, it has about 92000 miles, it has recently started to make and weird clicking noise and im not sure what it is, the rate of the tappin is consistent with the RPMs, sounds like it could be a piston slap or something hitting something else, any one have any advice on what to look into or similar past problems thanks

Legend

is it just during the warmup phase and then goes away, or all the time. These trucks will get some valve train chatter but its not a big deal
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

you need to listen to the motor w/ a stethascope to find general location

probably valvetrain or injector noise
    GM TECH

05 silverado shortbed

Have you ever had your u-joints inspected ?

If its just when the engine is cold, check your exhaust manifolds for cracks..
    2012 Silverado 1500
    2004 Silverado 1500 (SOLD): http://tinyurl.com/JRD761sTruck
    1977 Silverado C20:
    http://tinyurl.com/JRD761-1977-C20

Blog Entries

I bet its a stuck lifter. Do an oil change and use strait 30 weight. How is your oil pressure? My burb does this every once in a while, I put in some stp or something thick in the oil and it usually goes away. Most likely it is a valve train problem.
    "If I were lie'n I'd be cry'n and I aint shed a tear"

Quote Originally Posted by dannys99 View Post
    I bet its a stuck lifter. Do an oil change and use strait 30 weight. How is your oil pressure? My burb does this every once in a while, I put in some stp or something thick in the oil and it usually goes away. Most likely it is a valve train problem.

or its 4 years old with just shy of 100k miles!! have you always owned it? previous owner may not have taken such sweet care of it and it could be causing it to experience issues. just sayin

I had the same thing on my 2000 Sierra with a 5.3, Initially I thought it was piston slap or a bad connecting rod since it happened when I started my pick up after sitting for a period of time especially in the morning. I disabled each of the coils one at a time to try to id which cylinder is was coming from but it did not reveal itself. Then after a week or so I noticed that it also started making the sound when the A/C was on. After running for a period of time it would go away.

So I pulled the serpentine belt and started looking at the pullies on the accessories and it turned out to be a bad bearing in the tensioner.

I have had other bad accessory belt tensioners in the past, but never heard it sound like a connecting rod failure before.

Quote Originally Posted by jobrien836 View Post
    ...weird clicking noise ...rate of the tappin is consistent with the RPMs ...sounds like it could be a piston slap
    I note you mentioned "piston slap" instead of the more typical "lifter tap".

If the source is external to the engine:

...remove the serpentine belt, then briefly run the engine--if the noise goes away, you should be able to narrow it down from there (i.e., possibly a bearing, something on a pulley not tracking correctly, an exhaust leak... as have been alluded to in previous replies)

...if doing the above reveals nothing: being very careful to not come into contact with moving parts: use a cheap mechanic's stethoscope (a piece of hose, placed against one ear, will do the trick) to probe around for the source

If the source is internal to the engine -- are you running the recommended WEIGHT of OIL? Too thick an OIL and/or additive thickeners (such as Lucas & STP) can actually cause lifter tap and other problems, until the engine reaches operating temperature:

...being very careful to not come into contact with moving parts: use a cheap mechanic's stethoscope (a piece of hose, placed against one ear, will do the trick) placed against the surface ... probing the valve covers, oil pan, engine block, trying to locate the general area of the source

...alternatively, if you feel there's no real harm in running the truck for a while: buy a 16 oz can of SeaFoam Motor Treatment... add it to your crankcase oil. It will "free-up" sticky lifters, clean ring packs, and generally perform "first aid" on your moving internal engine parts. Take a few minutes to read the FAQs, Tech Info, Why It Works, and How to Use links, on the product page to which I linked above.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a salesman nor am I in any way affiliated with the SeaFoam brand. SeaFoam products have served me well (in both fuel and lubrication applications). If you feel there is a possibility that further damage could result from "running" your vehicle... I strongly suggest having it towed, and letting a certified mechanic isolate the problem for you.

...just my 2cents, good luck in resolving this issue

I work at gm and we get this all the time.. I own a 2000 chevy 5.3l. And it tapps every morning. Its piston slap. From the design of the pistons. Replacing pistons will not fix it. It's just how its designed. Dont worry about it. Let it idle for a min in the mornings. And drive it past 300k.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3l. Crappy 4l60e..
    8in skyjacker tsl 33's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast