GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Bike rack suggestions for 2004 Suburban?

Hi, I would love to put a bike rack on my 2004 suburban, preferably on the rear of the vehicle as it would be easier to load/unload. I have double doors in the back (friend called them barn doors) and am looking for suggestions/brands of bike racks that might work.

Thanks!

If you have a hitch, you can get a hitch rack. Most now have a tilt option to allow you to get inside your vehicle. If you use any type of trunk mount that attaches to the back with straps you won't be able to open the barn doors. Your other option is a roof mount. Either way be careful not to pull into your garage, or back up too closely to anything since the height or length of your Burb will be affected. I had a roof mount Thule on my 95 2-door and it worked out nicely for me. Kuat is a new American company that makes a nice lightweight aluminum hitch rack. Thule, Yakima, Allen and a few others are good brands that have been making these awhile. Regardless of the brand, these are going to cost you upwards of $200.

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have a class 3 hitch and I think that's the route I'll take.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem257 View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions. I do have a class 3 hitch and I think that's the route I'll take.
    I got a reese mount for the wifes yukon and it was pretty easy to set up. You take the ball off and put this plate under the ball. The plate has two bolts one is the pivot the other locks the shaft to the plate.
    When you want to tow just take both bolts out and the ball is there still usable.

I picked mine up from a boyscout yard sale for $3

Whitch ever one you get be sure it tilts and it can be locked

This is similar to the one I got
    http://www.etrailer.com/p-S64095.html

Last edited by Dr_Zero; 05-21-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

What did you end up getting?

Red face I chose this one

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not the original poster, but took your suggestion and chose the:

Thule Helium Aluminum 2 Bike Carrier for 1-1/4 and 2" Hitches - Tilting- Hitch Mount

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...e/TH970XT.html

I chose this one because I am a 60-year-old woman and like the fact that it is light weight, so it is easy for me to install and uninstall on my 1996 GMC Suburban. There is a video on the above website that show how to install and use it. I only need to transport 1 bike most of the time and am sick of lifting it into the back. I have NEVER used my hitch until now! Finally!

I have a silver with back (along the bottom) 96 GMC Suburban with about 140,000 miles. it is still in perfect condition and has the most comfortable, electronically adjustable, leather seats I have ever sat on.