GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: White exhaust

Default White exhaust

Hello all, new member here. I am having some problem with a truck I recently bought. Could I get some assistance with this? I will try to keep it brief.

Vehicle is a 97 Chevy K1500.

Symptom: Thick billowing white smoke from exhaust when I first start it cold after sitting a while.
    Smoke clears up while driving and does not reappear while stopped and idling (like stopped at a light).

If I park for a few minutes then, come back and start it white smoke reappears until i start driving.

All was fine till yesterday, started doing it this morning.

Any CEL codes? Have you checked your oil to see if its milky colored? White smoke usually means water in the combustion chamber either from a cracked head, blown head gasket or both.

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hmccall3 View Post
    Any CEL codes? Have you checked your oil to see if its milky colored? White smoke usually means water in the combustion chamber either from a cracked head, blown head gasket or both.
    Hes right. Id check your oil color and your coolant level. If you have a bad head or head gasket, get it fixed right away. Ive seen too many motors ruined because people run oil contaminated with coolant threw them because they think its ok because the truck still runs "good". Contaminated oil damages your motor because it has much less lubricity and coolant damages seals and crank bearings fast.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Legend
    Blog Entries

Where do you live??? here in Northern MN when the weather is a bit cooler white exhaust is a very common thing on all cars as the moisture builds up in the exhaust and as it heats up it creates steam...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Where do you live??? here in Northern MN when the weather is a bit cooler white exhaust is a very common thing on all cars as the moisture builds up in the exhaust and as it heats up it creates steam...
    I live in Upstate NY, it's been unseasonably cold for May, down into the 40s.
    I'm hoping it's not a head gasket, just dont want to go trough swapping it out right now. Is a leakdown test the only way to confirm if it is the gasket. What else could I check for?

check brake fluid master cylinder can leak into booster and get sucked into intake when it finally goes it looks like you are playing spy hunter
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

OK, good and bad news (maybe not too bad).
    Looking around inside the engine I noticed that the air filter cover wasn't seated properly. i had it off the other day to inspect it. I seated it and right away the white exhaust cleared right up and the the engine ran a bit smoother.
    Then I hooked up the code scanner and got a 0507 Idle Control Arm. RPM high.
    A quick scan online shows me the part is over $100.
    How hard is it to replace this part, and what else should I be looking for around this issue.

Thanks all.