GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Directional vs. nondirectional tread

Been thinking of getting tires for the Suburban. Some nice, aggressive MT's. Over the years, I've noticed some directional MT's (like the Pro Comp Xterrains or the new style Kumho Venture MT's). I like the looks, and I've seen some good reviews, but I was wondering what your opinions are. Advantages of a directional tread? How much traction do you lose going backwards (like when you get started in and decide you need to back out)? I saw a trail rig at a neighbor's house the other day, and he had directional tires on his, the back tires rotate correctly, the front tires are on backwards, and I'm guessing it's so he doesn't lose as much when he goes backwards.

I'm not looking so much for someone to say, "just get the (favorite tire mfg)." I'm really looking for some discussion of directional tread vs. non -directional tread.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I've had both directional and non-directional tires. I wasn't sold on the concept of having directional tires. I guess I don't really even think about it much when I go to buy tires.

The ride didn't necessarily seem like mch better, althought I suppose it could be designed for better off-roading, etc.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend

I used to do a lot of off roading, but it was the poor man's off roading. I never really spent any money on the equipment, I just went and did it.
    If I were to start up again, I wouldn't go with directional tread. To me it seems more like a gimmick that isn't worth it's weight. I know it has advantages, but like you said, it becomes a question of how much can it help you in a situation that is not ideal for directional tread.

Your neighbor probably has the right idea, with his setup, but I guess you'd have to ask yourself what kind of off road traveling do you experience, Mostly rocky, muddy, soft sand?

For me, I'd be more concerned about mud, than anything else. I'm not so sure directional tread would help me much in that situation.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island