GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default they say fuel pump??? 91 K1500

1991 Suburban 1500
    starts up and immediately dies out.
    turn key back off and does it again
    after 3 or 4 times of doing this, the motor fires up and runs like the day it was built.
    i changed the fuel filter and also found 2 places, before it and after it that had clamps so tight they crimped the line.
    i paid pepboys for the $97 drivability diagnostics and they narrowed it down to the fuel pump. the guy that looked it at was a 20 year chevy man, mater tech they said.
    i have a question.
    will a fuel pump go intermittently bad? i thought they either were good or bad.
    for some reason i contribute this problem to electrical. i hear the pump every single time i turn the key and always wait for it to turn off on all my vehicles
    i bought this truck a few months back and put 3200 miles on it. the thing runs like a top, smooth, comfortable and will probably buy another one day.

thanks in advance, any input will be appreciated.

Exclamation Intermittent fuel pump

to GMTC. A great place to hang out for all things GM.
    Yes, you can have an intermittent fuel pump problem. It has been my experience that they can overheat. My mechanic recommends keeping the tank above 1/4 so the fuel can help keep the pump cool. He also has a trick for getting the pump to restart. When the tow truck brings one in, he'll slide underneath and give the fuel tank a good thump. It allows him to start the truck and drive it into the service bay.

I had an intermittent problem like yours. Wanting to know for sure that it was a fuel pump before I went through the hassle of dropping the tank, I rigged up a temporary fuel pressure monitor with a length of fuel line and a gauge and zip tied it to the area below the windshield where I could see it. Sure enough, several days later it crapped out i was able to see that the fuel pressure drop as it happened.

==> New members please click here for tips to making your first few posts count! <==
    Last edited by unplugged; 05-17-2010 at 07:28 AM.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

ok, sounds reasonable. i guess the tanks will have to come down. my pump runs fine when the tank is low, so i dont think its over heating. it has it's problems when it's cold.

what determines if i have to change the tank? the seal area at the top where the o ring is? id imagine that are would have to be perfect. this truck lived in the snow and salt, i doubt it's perfect and more like full corrosion.

i appreciate the reply.

next question is about the sending unit. how do i tell if its bad, or do you just replace both the pump and the sending unit when you do this? thanks.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Best bet is to replace both if you havent replaced the sending unit in the past.. Depending on where you live anyhow.. here in MN the sending unit lines on top rust and break off.. If you are going to do just a pump make sure that it has a new strainer, and a new in tank wiring harness...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

im in upstate NY and its sounding likea full replacement. thanks