GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Next step towards adding power for towing

I have a 2005 Tahoe LS with the 5.3L engine. I bought a boat last year, and tow it with the Tahoe. The engine pulls the boat fairly well (about 6500-7000 pounds - boat & trailer& gear). On the highway, even on gradual uphill grades, the tranny has to downshift, and holds on to the lower gear for quite some time. It seem to work the engine pretty hard. I have 35000 miles on her, and I run full synthetic oil, have flushed the tranny and run full synthetic fluid in there, and changed both differentials, and the transfer case fluids also. I recently added a tranny cooler and tranny temperature gauge. Last year, I added a cold air intake, and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. My question is what would be the next addition to install to get a little more power out of her? I have a limited budget, so no supercharger or turbo install would be affordable. Any suggestions?!? I read about programmers, and have also considered headers. I'm looking for the most "bang for my buck"!

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Get a custom tune, headers, lose the cats, and try to get some lower gearing. A 4.10 would help you alot. And a shift kit for the tranny would really help it last in the long run to heavy, consistant towing.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes