GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brakes grabbing at low speeds

I've noticed latley that when I am braking from very low speeds, like creeping forward in line at the traffic light, that the brakes like to grab real hard, making the truck lurch to a halt. I know this is probably one of those simple things that I'm not thinking of, but I can't remember what would cause this or what the solution would be. I need to rotate the tires on the truck, so probably when I get around to doing that, I will inspect the brakes. However, this is kind of annoying when I'm creeping along and the brakes flat out grab and stop the truck. So, what am I forgetting that's the solution to the problem. Thanks
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Does it feel like back or front grabbing?

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

It's somewhat felt like each of different occasions. I'm guessing it's probably the front, but a couple times (mainly when I was facing downhill) it felt like it was the rears.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    It's somewhat felt like each of different occasions. I'm guessing it's probably the front, but a couple times (mainly when I was facing downhill) it felt like it was the rears.
    Your going to need to remove and inspect, rears might have leaking wheel cylinder? Not sure why fronts would feel that way. Front pad low?

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Legend

Most burb owners would be thankful to have those kind of brakes. A lot of older burbs are not so great in the braking dept.

You don't sound very grateful....I'm just messin with ya.

Does this only happen when the vehicle is first driven after a long sit (ex:overnight), or all the time?
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Mainly just from an overnight sit. IIRC, it happened once or twice during the day one day, I was going to get lunch, and then at the end of the day when I was heading home.
    Christopher

Mainly just from an overnight sit. IIRC, it happened once or twice during the day one day, I was going to get lunch, and then at the end of the day when I was heading home.
    I wonder, does this have anti-lock brakes?

If it does I wonder if the ABS could be malfunctioning?

Just a thought.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesnít.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Pull the front wheels off and check the condition of the caliper assemblies. Pay close attention to the bolts that the calipers slide on. Crud or rust can cause problems. Spray the caliper bolts with WD40, being careful not to get any on the pads/rotors. See if that helps. Otherwise it could be a problem with the proportioning valve, but that would be rare. Good time to check the pad condition while you are there.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Default Nice catch

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Pull the front wheels off and check the condition of the caliper assemblies. Pay close attention to the bolts that the calipers slide on. Crud or rust can cause problems. Spray the caliper bolts with WD40, being careful not to get any on the pads/rotors. See if that helps. Otherwise it could be a problem with the proportioning valve, but that would be rare. Good time to check the pad condition while you are there.
    Good point, I always try to remember to put anti-seize compound on those bolts so that they can slide freely.

It is good that we have so many different people on here, so that others catch the things that some forget about.

Dam STML, I think itís getting worse.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and in mid sentence just forgot what I was going to say.

Thatís one of the reasons I try to write all my posts in word and then copy and paste my answer. That way if I forget what I'm talking about I can go back and reread all the previous posts.

If it gets much worse I may find myself stopping posting, or talking. LoL

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesnít.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Legend

At one time I had similar situation. Turns out that my axle seals were leaking into the brake drum. Once the heavy oil mixed with the brake dust, it actually made a heavy pasty glue. It would lock my brake shoes to the drum when the parking brake was applied for a long sit. So that when I would start to move, it would either drag the tire then break free, or for the first couple miles it would grab like the dickens when I stepped on the pedal. After it got some heat into the drums it would stop grabbing so hard.

Pull your brake drums, and check for a greasy substance. You're brake shoes will be shiny black instead of the typical dull charcoal gray.
    If that's the case, replace the shoes, your axles seals, and clean the hell out of your brake assembly. (it's a very messy job, and doesn't clean up easy)

Set aside an entire day to do this job. You'll need half the day to clean, and replace the brakes, and seals, and then the other half to clean yourself up. (dawn dish soap, and an old toilet brush will help the job go faster.)
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast