GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by

I also would recommend staying with TBI. Double check all your wiring to make sure you don't have a short somewhere. Other than that you may have a partially plugged injector, run some good fuel system cleaner though it too.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Default I pulled my codes...

with a paper clip. This is what I got:

Can anyone help me with what they mean?

1989 Chevy V1500 Suburban 4X4, long tube headers & xover pipe. w/1985 350 4bbl.
    2002 Silverado 1500 5.3L Ext. Cab
    2005 Wrangler Rubicon 4.0L
    1990 Miata

code 12 is the system computer code test signal telling you that the
    diagnostic test was completed correctly. you will always get that one.

13 is oxygen sensor signal fault - signal too low / open left O2 sensor circuit ( dual sensor models )

43 is electronic spark timing ( EST ) circuit - low voltage detected
    or electronic spark control ( ESC ) - circuit problems

44 is lean exhaust indicated ( left side on dual oxygen models )

ok, did you unplug the timing bypass wire when you did the tuneup & timed it?
    did you verify that the adjustment screws on the tps is set at the right angle? a little off means alot

did all the probs start AFTER you put on the headers & crossover pipe ?
    your O2 sensor might not be reading the new exhaust values
    :fighting0037:
    when in doubt, doubletap !

- buying a new truck, one part at a time :grrrrrr:
    94 Blazer 4x4 k1500 5.7 L - aftermarket cold air intake
    Energy Suspension swaybar & upper and lower control arm bushings
    Pro Comp ES 9000 front shocks, new front drive axles,
    stainless front brake rotors & new pads,
    new Moog front end ball joints, Smittybilt black nerf bar steps,
    MB Racing rims & Hankook ATm off road tires

ok, did you unplug the timing bypass wire when you did the tuneup & timed it?
    No I did not......

did you verify that the adjustment screws on the tps is set at the right angle? a little off means alot
    Again, no.......

did all the probs start AFTER you put on the headers & crossover pipe ?
    your O2 sensor might not be reading the new exhaust values
    no, I was having the problems since i got it in September......

Thanks for taking the time to respond!!

I dont know if this helps but I have been through the same thing on my 89 4x4 5.7. It was running terrible so i purchased a holley tbi. It didn't help at all. I switched mine to a carb setup and i love it but there is more to it than you think. Of course the carb & intake. A pressure regulator will not hold up on your factory furl pump when your cutting the pressure down to 4-7psi. I found that out the hard way, It blew apart. So now you have 2 choices. You can get a mechanical pump and bolt on to your block, if you buy one for a 85 chevy truck it will have a return line on the pump, if you plug off the return it WILL vapor lock. You can also go to your local parts store and buy a 12volt pump that pumps 4-7 psi for about $40. Thats pretty simple also. As far as pulling through the tank, you will have to remove your fuel pump and replace it with a pickup tube such as a brake line. It WILL NOT pull through the pump in the tank. For connect your fuel lines - there is 2 special fittings in the back of your tbi that screw out. Ony these fittings will fit on your factory fuel lines so take the fittings out and leave them hooked onto the factory lines, then you can take 3/8 fuel hose and push up over the ends of the threads and clamp them down, the threads will act as a lock so they wont slide off, you can do your suction & return this way. Another thing is the cam, if you switch to a carb you may not be satisfied until you swap cams because a ecm controlled efi cam is way different than a carb cam. You must also get an HEI distributor and do away with the computer controlled setup all together. I just tucked all my wiring harness under the firewall because I didnt want to go hacking on a wiring harness. Im sure i forgot something so if you need any help just get up with me.

pull the fuel pump out of the tank and replace it with a pick up tube. add a in line low pressure pump powered by the same wires your old one used. careful not to dis connect the fuel Gage. swap the intake with a new style carb intake. the old styles will not work. add a carb and viola. It now runs on a carb and will need constant adjustment.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Dodge Durango Parts is available in five trims: ST, SXT, SLT, Adventurer and Limited. Base engine is the 3.7 liter Magnum V6 engine while the 5.7 liter Hemi V8 engine was available for higher trims. A 5-speed automatic transmission is standard for all trims and packages.

Wow, all the little details add up. I will try and trouble shoot what the setup I have....

Okay, here is the latest. I uplugged the timing advance wire and advanced the timing a little and re connected the wire. The truck ran great. no more stalling, no more loping at light throttle. It ran great for two days so I took it to work today (80 miles round trip) coming home, it was pinging like a mo-fo. I could hardly drive it. I unhooked the timing advance wire but it made no difference. Any thoughts about what the problem is now? Is there a knock sensor?

Well after sleeping on it I checked this morning and a hose popped off the EGR valve. I didn't have time to test drive, but will give it a go this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluesub View Post
    Well after sleeping on it I checked this morning and a hose popped off the EGR valve. I didn't have time to test drive, but will give it a go this afternoon.
    That could make a big difference. I'm assuming it was the vacuum line that came off?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by