GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default abs acting weird

tried searching didnt find anything.

scenario: priodically when coming to a stop just as im getting to almost a complete stop the abs kicks in for a few seconds and then is fine. no abs light on and it doesnt do it everytime time i stop. not sure where to start looking. i have only had the truck a week it has 172k on it. i have changed and flushed all fluids except for the brake fluid havent got a chance to yet. its pretty dark in color so i know it needs changed and flushed. could this be causing it? or is there an abs sensor starting to go bad just not bad enough to set a light? it seems like its the right front wheel but not sure. any info would be helpful thanks guys.

You don't say what year your truck is, but pretty common problem for older trucks with that kind of mileage. It is most likely a bad wheel sensor in the front. You could try changing or cleaning the right side and hope that fixes it.

But it would be money well spent to take it to a shop that can watch all the wheel speed sensors at once while you drive it. In my case, the ABS controller was bad, I pulled the fuse.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

its a 98. yeah i know those can be expensive i was looking at a 99 while back it needed one and it close to a grand or so

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z713dr View Post
    its a 98. yeah i know those can be expensive i was looking at a 99 while back it needed one and it close to a grand or so
    Duh. I just read your user name LOL
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Mine did this after the front hub abs sensors were corroded...replaced both hub assemblies a few years ago and it did it again. So recently I just bought two new ones, installed and drives like new.
    My abs light never came on on either occasion but I know what you are going through. It drives you nuts and just gets worse. Change out your hubs $175/per and some labor.
    Matt

I had to replace a wheel sensor in the front of my truck. Not just the sensor the whole hub and sensor. Good times. Once I did that I had no problems.
    "You underestimate my willingness to resort to violence to resolve this conflict" :fighting0037:

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT
    (8" Fabtech Suspension Lift, 3" Performance Accessories Body Lift, 37x13.50 Toyo MT's, 20" KMC Rockstar, K&N FIPK, Edelbrock Headers, Edelbrock Extreme Travel Shocks with Reservoir, MagnaFlow Dual Exhaust, Black Bear Performance Tune)

yes you can't replace only the sensor because it's not replaceable by itself. Poor design where you have to replace the whole assembly :(
    Matt

Legend
    Blog Entries

And as a stop gap till you can get it repaired pull the ABS fuse so you know you can stop when you hit the brakes.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Good idea...mine was so bad I almost crashed in a parking lot trying to park!
    Matt

My local Chevy Dealer pulled and cleaned my ABS Sensors as a courtesy.....been fine ever since
    *Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast