GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default would you start with new plugs?

I have a 95 suburban, original owner, with a 350. 2 months ago i went cheap and just did spark plugs vs the entire tuneup. It ran great, all the power no missing. It rained and with the moisture it seemed to miss a little I go to work at 4 am so I looked under the hood and saw a little arching like a bad wire.
    ive been ignoring that.
    It has very high mileage so I keep a watch on the oil level and appearance-its been looking ok.
    I work alot and have been putting off an oil change for about 5000 miles. On the way to work going really fast- I looked at the oil tach and it was low next to zero low-it never has been low. I pulled over looked at the dipstick and it appeared ok-the oil looked what I would call a littlle runny but the color was right and it wasnt foamy. I still added oil (1/2) qt (since Im a female and didnt know what else to do) waited about 10 minutes started for work. There was a slight tapping noise initially, but stopped almost as soon as it started. It ran/performed fine the way home and the next morning. I took it that afternoon for an oil change I asked for 10/30 and I think that is what they put in it, I use maxlife valvoline. I have been doing this for the last 8 years and all has been great they did the oil filter and other fluids. I left, the oil pressure shot up higher than usual (the gage usually hangs around the 1/2way mark but this time it was about at the 3/4 mark, after driving off and on for a few hours it came back down to just above the 1/2 mark (if the pressure has anything to do with what happens next!?Idk
    Today I left work did some freeway driving and then in town at a stoplight I took off from the light and noticed billougwing grey smoke from my exhaust like burning oil, I turned into my destination and was backing into a parking spot and my truck stalled and I again I noticed exhaust fumes. I checked the oil it looked ok Driving home I noted it was missing harded than usual. The exhaust is a light grey and my neighbor checked my oil and said it looks good maybe Very full overfilled just a bit. He thinks there is oil on a sparkplug and is also wondering if they didnt accidentally put a lower weight oil in also.
    Now I have extremely high miles on this engine-But I really think the exhaust thing can be remedied
    I want to know where you guys would start-thursday I am going to have a thorough tuneup. Today I put in high octane gas (because originally I thought I got some gasoline that wasnt so good) At idle the oil pressure hangs just above the 1/4 mark-but it has done this for many years-my neighbor questioned that at first. Today it almost sounded like it was backfiring just ever so lightly-not as much as sound as feel. This is my baby-be gentle Tune up for now? and is there such a thing as an oil pump Ive never had one done that I can remember and I remember alot about this truck since Ive hardly had to fix anything so If I had to I would recall that It has just under 400,000. Saturday. besides a slight 'miss', it was running beautifully and even today the power is awesome (between the missing!)

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caddiac View Post
    I would start with a good Bourbon - served "neat" - preferably Pappy Van Winkle, Knob Creek, or Basil Hayden. Then I would toast to my engine - 400 thou is nothing to sneeze at!

Seriously, it sounds like you should do the rest of the tune up. Based on what you have described the plug wires are probably bad. Oil pumps generally don't get replaced unless you are doing a complete engine overhaul. As a general rule, black smoke is fuel related and blue is oil. The light grey smoke, could very well be oil. After 400,000 miles, that is not all that surprising. At your last oil change, did you mention any of your recent observations to those guys? You mentioned 10w30 was what you thought they put in. If they went to something thicker that could account for the oil pressure increases you have seen. I started running a thicker oil to quite the piston slap in the winter and noticed a markedly higher oil pressure until the engine gets good and hot.

" I still added oil (1/2) qt (since I'm a female and didn't know what else to do)". I love that line! Hell at least you did not keep going and risk throwing a rod. I think you have done a heck of a job keeping your baby on the road. I hope I get 400,000 out of my Burb!
    X2.... on that finish the tune up, and go from there..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Pick up a tune up kit from Rock Auto

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...9,parttype,684

UNITED IGNITION WIRE Part # 17818 {Includes Distributor Cap & Rotor, and PREMIUM Packard/Delphi Silicone Spark Plug Wires} $36.79

Everything you need in one box except the plugs!
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT