GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Friendly Chevrolet Review - Dallas, TX

Friendly Chevrolet
    2754 N Stemmons Freeway
    Dallas, TX 75207
    (214) 920-1900

www.friendlychevy.com

Had bad luck this weekend hauling a 38' 10k lb trailer with my 97 2500 4X4 Suburban. Driving through Texas hill country the engine blew up. The engine's an 18 month old 7.4ltr Goodwrench crate motor with under 10,000 miles, Vortec supercharger running 12psi of boost, Pro Jection water, underdrive pulleys, dual exhaust with a crossover, and an Art Carr tow special trans. All installation, modifications, and most maintenance have been done by myself.

With the engine mods I knew I'd have warranty issues, my neighbor (a mechanic at Friendly Chevrolet) told me to call and see what could be done. They sent a truck to pick up the Suburban and completed a teardown of the engine before 3pm, then called to tell me they'd honor the warranty and should have the truck back together in a few days.

I was a little shocked at this news and asked why they decided to warranty, the service writer said they decided to for a couple reasons:
    1) I bought the engine from this dealer.
    2) It had been serviced by them a few times and I had receipts for the other services.
    3) Even with the obvious engine modifications they felt the engine failure was due to inferior materials in the manufacture of the engine internals.
    4) And in their opinion it was the proper thing to do.

The damage: #3 and #7 pistons desintegrated, oil pump failed, #2 piston rod starting to fail at the wrist pin, #2,3,4,5, and 7 cylinder skirts cracked and begining to fail, 2"X2" hole in the oil pan, all lower bearings scored and seizing, and cylinder walls on #2,3,4,5, and 7 scored. The mechanic had no diagnosys of why these items failed and was surprised I didnt hear the engine coming apart for weeks prior to the catastrophic failure.

I cant say thanks enough to Friendly Chevrolet of Dallas, Texas for stepping up to the plate and making this a hassle free warranty job.

They also called back later to remind me to submit my tow bill from Mason, Texas (350 miles) for reimbursement.
    Last edited by tbplus10; 03-28-2007 at 12:27 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Had bad luck this weekend hauling a 38' 10k lb trailer with my 97 2500 4X4 Suburban. Driving through Texas hill country the engine blew up. The engine's an 18 month old 7.4ltr Goodwrench crate motor with under 10,000 miles, Vortec supercharger running 12psi of boost, Pro Jection water/alcohol injector, tweaked ECU with a piggy back chip, K&N filtercharger, underdrive pulleys, dual exhaust with a crossover, and an Art Carr tow special trans. All installation, modifications, and most maintenance have been done by myself.

With the engine mods I knew I'd have warranty issues, my neighbor (a mechanic at Friendly Chevrolet) told me to call and see what could be done. They sent a truck to pick up the Suburban and completed a teardown of the engine before 3pm, then called to tell me they'd honor the warranty and should have the truck back together in a few days.
    I was a little shocked at this news and asked why they decided to warranty, the service writer said they decided to for a couple reasons:
    1) I bought the engine from this dealer.
    2) It had been serviced by them a few times and I had receipts for the other services.
    3) Even with the obvious engine modifications they felt the engine failure was due to inferior materials in the manufacture of the engine internals.
    4) And in their opinion it was the proper thing to do.

The damage: #3 and #7 pistons desintegrated, oil pump failed, #2 piston rod starting to fail at the wrist pin, #2,3,4,5, and 7 cylinder skirts cracked and begining to fail, 2"X2" hole in the oil pan, all lower bearings scored and seizing, and cylinder walls on #2,3,4,5, and 7 scored. The mechanic had no diagnosys of why these items failed and was surprised I didnt hear the engine coming apart for weeks prior to the catastrophic failure.

I cant say thanks enough to Friendly Chevrolet of Dallas, Texas for stepping up to the plate and making this a hassle free warranty job.
    They also called back later to remind me to submit my tow bill from Mason, Texas (350 miles) for reimbursement.
    That's awesome!!!!!
    Glad to hear there are still some dealers out there who realize their bread and butter is in the service, not the sale, and as such see fit to treat you right.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Blog Entries

I need a tissue I wish all dealers were like that!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Default Drive Friendly

That's great. They've got some annoyingly toothy commercials though!

Drive Friendly!

(I guess it's catchy though)

(EDIT 11/01/2011: I had worked for Friendly for almost a year and I am very disappointed with the way that employees are treated there and I CAN NOT recommend anyone go to work for them for any reason. Please read my post on page 3 for more details)
    Last edited by Steve; 11-01-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Yea, their commercials have never convinced me to buy from them.
    I was looking to add a Crew cab Diesel Dually to the fleet in the next few months, after this, and talking with them about what kind of price they can give me I might go with a new truck from their lot. We'll see in the next few weeks.

After such a bad thing happening to you. Its very refreshing to see a dealership do that. Thats stepping up and making a repeat customer. Now if they could all see that we'd have more GM's on road
    Glad to see

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Glad you had good luck with this. Keep us posted on the details. I'll be in the Mason area this weekend, but I will be turkey hunting, not towing a 10k lb. trailer. I would love to get together with you and see this beast when it all gets put back together. Your big block has way more toys than my old 78 does.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

That's awesome. Snap some photos of that bad boy under the hood and post them to everyone when you get it back from the shop.

Friendly Chevrolet is doing something right. They know their market and they promote to it. Their commercials maybe a bit tooth with their sales managers in white shirts wearing ties, but I guess they back it up which is what counts most!.

This episode on here is enough to make me want to consider driving there when we're ready to trade in the Cavalier or the Trailblazer for an EXT or possibly another 'burban when we're ready.
    Last edited by Steve; 03-27-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

I emailed them.

I run a website called GMTruckClub.com (with a large DFW membership base) and one of my members posted a message about their fantastic experience with Friendly Chevrolet.

Keep up the good work, and remember ... "Drive Friendly!"
    Maybe they're want to come help sponsor the site!
    Last edited by Steve; 03-28-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I'll be in the Mason area this weekend, but I will be turkey hunting, not towing a 10k lb. trailer. I would love to get together with you and see this beast when it all gets put back together. Your big block has way more toys than my old 78 does.
    Anywhere near Katemcy rocks?
    It'll have to be right after I get her back, the decisions been made to sell the Suburban and buy a newer (00-06) Crewcab diesel dually.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast