GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Default I'm looking for a certain Silverado...

    I have driven my parents 2005 Suburban a lot. And I love the ride and over all performance.

    I'm looking for a Silverado that provides a similar feel and performance.


    I'm mostly interested in regular cab, short bed, 2wd Silverados. But I wasn't sure how the ride would be in such a short wheel base.

    I'd rather have a V8. But how good is the 4.3 V6?


    I'm on a tight budget . So anything less than 10000 dollars is really the best.


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lead Hill, Arkansas
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Im sure their 'bourban has a 5.3l in it. So findn a silverado with a 5.3l in it is as easy as findn blue in the sky. As far as your question about ride quality with a single cab-short wheel base, it wont ride as good as a longer truck, but if you buy a good set of aftermarket shocks, itll ride just as good. And if your wantn a 2wd, then that tells me you wont be goin off-road much so ride quality difference wont be noticable. So a good late-model single cab short wheelbase 2wd Silverado with a 5.3l vortec in it can be found and can be found under ten grand. And itll handle and be alot faster than a fat, heavy subourban and get better fuel milage.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado Junkie View Post
    Im sure their 'bourban has a 5.3l in it. So findn a silverado with a 5.3l in it is as easy as findn blue in the sky. As far as your question about ride quality with a single cab-short wheel base, it wont ride as good as a longer truck, but if you buy a good set of aftermarket shocks, itll ride just as good. And if your wantn a 2wd, then that tells me you wont be goin off-road much so ride quality difference wont be noticable. So a good late-model single cab short wheelbase 2wd Silverado with a 5.3l vortec in it can be found and can be found under ten grand. And itll handle and be alot faster than a fat, heavy subourban and get better fuel milage.
    I hope it gets better gas mileage. But the Suburban already averages 16 mpg. I'd be happy with that.

    I've owned a Ramcharger, Accord, Ranger and Porsche 914. I'm starting to mellow out when it comes to my car selection. I've been looking at late model diesels. But I think I'd rather have a v8.

    I figured a regular cab, short bed v8 silverado would provide enough performance and comfort to keep me satisfied.

    Does it matter what model year I get?

  4. #4
    Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lead Hill, Arkansas
    Posts
    541

    Default

    99.5-07(classic) are built almost identical except for the body and interior. I dont think you could find much newer in your price range and idk if your into the 99 and older trucks, which are amazing vehicles, i own an older silverado. Its just that they dont get as good fuel milage and you cant get them with a 5.3l.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado Junkie View Post
    99.5-07(classic) are built almost identical except for the body and interior. I dont think you could find much newer in your price range and idk if your into the 99 and older trucks, which are amazing vehicles, i own an older silverado. Its just that they dont get as good fuel milage and you cant get them with a 5.3l.
    That might be a problem. I commute 20 miles to and from school 5 days a week ( at least for next semester).

    I was hoping to get a vehicle that could average 18 mpg.

    The only other option I had was diesel power.

  6. #6
    Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lead Hill, Arkansas
    Posts
    541

    Default

    You can find 99.5-07's cheap and in great shape. And a 2wd will get atleast 18 mpg and with intake and exhaust mods you could hit 20 mpg easy.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado Junkie View Post
    You can find 99.5-07's cheap and in great shape. And a 2wd will get atleast 18 mpg and with intake and exhaust mods you could hit 20 mpg easy.
    I'm having a hard time finding regular cab, short bed V8s. Most are V6 and the V8s I have found have 130K+ miles.

    How much life can I get out of one of these engines?

  8. #8
    Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lead Hill, Arkansas
    Posts
    541

    Default

    130,000 aint nothn man. My dads '99 Silverado has a 5.3l in it and it had 255,000+ miles on it when he put a new motor in it. He only put a new motor in it because it had a blown head gasket and he didnt wana waste his time putn a head gasket on a motor with that many miles. If he woulda fixed it, it woulda kept runnin alot longer. So a truck with 130,000 miles on it can last many years and miles if you take care of it.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado Junkie View Post
    Im sure their 'bourban has a 5.3l in it. So findn a silverado with a 5.3l in it is as easy as findn blue in the sky. As far as your question about ride quality with a single cab-short wheel base, it wont ride as good as a longer truck, but if you buy a good set of aftermarket shocks, itll ride just as good. And if your wantn a 2wd, then that tells me you wont be goin off-road much so ride quality difference wont be noticable. So a good late-model single cab short wheelbase 2wd Silverado with a 5.3l vortec in it can be found and can be found under ten grand. And itll handle and be alot faster than a fat, heavy subourban and get better fuel milage.
    hope you don't mind if i jump in on this thread.

    i bought my 2k silverado xtra cab 5.3L 2wd 9 years ago. at the same time my friend bought a short bed 4.3 v6. we swapped trucks one time just to get a feel for the pros & cons on both trucks. we both agree that the 5.3l xtra cab felt like you were riding in a boat. everything felt so smooth. his on the other hand was definitely quicker, easy to maneuver but lacked the cabin space. the ride was not as smooth as sailing. it really felt like a truck. as for the gas mileage, before i added all the mod to my truck, i was getting pretty good mileage around 17 - 18 miles per gallon.

    you should really consider the xtra cab 5.3l. i'm sure you'll find one w/in your price range that has low mileage.
    2K Bowtie Silverado xCab 5.3L
    7" Fabtech Suspension Lift + 3" Perf Acc. Body Lift
    K&N Air Intake + Edelbrock Shorty Ceramic Headers + Flowmaster Super 10 Series dumped after muffler!
    Bridgestone Dueler 285/75/16 on stock rims
    SSBC Slotted Rotors & Pads
    HID Driving & Fog Lights

    (AR Bajas + ProComp 305/70/16) <-- seasonal set

  10. #10

    Default

    I have an 05 small cab/longbed 4x4 w/ the 4.3L, it was in your price range. I'm getting 16 - 17 MPG local and 18 - 20 highway...
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •