GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default What HID kit to get?

I'm wondering what HID kit to get? Hmm 6k,8k, or 10k? I know 6k is the best driving ability light but what is yalls opinion? What kit do y'all have?

I like the look of 8000k, but if you're going for better visiblity 4300k will be the brightest you can get. On a side note, technically HIDs are illegal if your truck didn't come with them stock from the factory.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Sr. Apprentice

I've done 8k's on several trucks and cars and it works GREAT.....

Quote Originally Posted by TELORVEHC View Post
    I like the look of 8000k, but if you're going for better visiblity 4300k will be the brightest you can get. On a side note, technically HIDs are illegal if your truck didn't come with them stock from the factory.

1998 Suburban K2500 4x4
    9" of Lift - 4.56's - Limited Slip
    37" Tires - Lot's of Mods

Haha I didn't know it was illegal to have them if I didn't come on it factory but ya I may go with 8k. Or I may go 10k. have y'all seen anybody with 10k before? And TurboChris where did you get that front bumper for your suburban at? I have a 1998 silverado k1500 ext cab Z71 and I want to get fog lights for it if I can find a bumper like that anywhere.

i did 4,300k on my fathers 99 hoe the quality of the blackberries 8330 camera sux!!!!!
    best thing about this front end it you can fit the ballast right behind the turns sigs :D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00064.jpg  
    Burnin' hard, loose, n', clean

Sr. Apprentice

Sorry..I don't have a clue.....it was on there when I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcloud View Post
    Haha I didn't know it was illegal to have them if I didn't come on it factory but ya I may go with 8k. Or I may go 10k. have y'all seen anybody with 10k before? And TurboChris where did you get that front bumper for your suburban at? I have a 1998 silverado k1500 ext cab Z71 and I want to get fog lights for it if I can find a bumper like that anywhere.

Keep in mind, where you're going to be driving. Out here in bum fudged North Dakota I have a buddy who had 6k in his Trailblazer SS and they didn't do much for open road lighting. He finally swapped them out for less intense HIDs so he could see deer and stuff at night. Doesn't want to mess up that nice SS I guess. I forget which way the numbering goes for HIDs but he went from a bluer hue to a white light which works much better.

The fool learns not from the wise man, but the wise man from the fool.

2004 Silverado 4x4 (Suzie)
    6" Fabtech Suspension Lift
    35" NITTO Terra Grapplers
    18" MB Wheels Predators
    Thrush Turbo Series Mufflers
    on true dual exhaust
    Grille by Option Racing

1952 3600
    Finally getting torn down to the frame.

If you are looking for a white color and brightness go with 55w 5000k. The 6000k start to blue and get bluer then purple as color temp (k) goes up. You will also loose lumens as you go up in k. between 4300k and 5000k will be the highest lumens which is the actual light output. In a reflective lens the HIDs can be quite blinding. I installed them in my wifes car and in the stock housing and it definately floods out a lot but you can definatley see well. I switched out her stock housings for projector lenses which definately controls the broad blinding. I personally cant see well with the blue and so the color bothers me so I switched from the original 6000k to a 5000k and was much happier with the white, but that is strictly based on my personal preference on color. I would definately recommend www.ddmtuning.com I have not had any issues with the lights and the price with shipping was 50 dollars for the 55w HIDs kit (lights and ballasts). and when I swiched to the 5000k bulbs it cost 17.00 for the new lights.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I am running 6k in the lows and highs and 3k in the fog. Where are you getting them from?
    2008 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4wd LT1 Package with 20" wheel upgrade,K&N CAI, Magnaflow Catback Dual Side Exit, Tuff Country 2" Leveling Kit, Blackbear Tune, 6k HIDS Low and High Beams, 3K HID fog lights, LED tailight bar

DDMTuning.com did have there HID kits on sale. I'm not sure If they still are.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by