GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 99 GMC Sierra fuel pump clicking sound

I have been having problems with my 99 GMC Sierra lately and I think it may be the fuel pump. The fuel pump is making a fast clicking sound when I turn the key to "On". Is that normal or does that mean the pump is bad?

Thanks in advance.

Legend
    Blog Entries

WEll depending what else are the symptoms???? is the CEL on etc. Just a bit more info on what your problem is might help. And a click isnt always great but as i said there might be more to it than that.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

About a week or so ago my truck started acting like it was running out of fuel right after start up. It slowly started happening more frequently until it would stall out. The CEL gave P0171 and P0174 (System Lean Bank 1 and System Lean Bank 2). I replaced fuel filter and spark plugs and the problem still exists. It seems like if I let the truck sit overnight after stalling it will start and run fine for about 10 minutes and then stall. I also replaced TPS.

Legend
    Blog Entries

You check the fuel pressure?? Also the Fuel pressure regulator?? I am with you on the fuel pump but the are Expensive and i would hate to see you throw $300-400 into your gas tank when it is something else. Also have you cleaned out the AIC??? Oh and what motor do you have?? Does it start back up after it dies?? Basically does it do this once and go down the road and not do it till you start it again or will it not really even move??

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    You check the fuel pressure?? Also the Fuel pressure regulator?? I am with you on the fuel pump but the are Expensive and i would hate to see you throw $300-400 into your gas tank when it is something else. Also have you cleaned out the AIC??? Oh and what motor do you have?? Does it start back up after it dies?? Basically does it do this once and go down the road and not do it till you start it again or will it not really even move??
    I don't have the means to check fuel pressure (no gauge). Not sure how to check the regulator. I found a pump on EBay for $65, not cheap but alot better than $300. What's the AIC? My engine is the 5.3. It will for about 10 minutes or so and not want to start back up, but if let sit overnight then it will start again like the pump has cooled down. Hopefully that answers all the questions.

Thank you for your help!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Ok got ya.. well i would lean twards a pump as well.. And AIC is me typing to fast and actually is the IAC (idle air control valve) however with it starting and dying like that it sure sounds like it.. Make sure that you change the fuel pump wiring harness (in tank side)....

Here's the link to the one I got off EBay. It says it comes with a new wiring harness so I will be sure to replace that.

Fuel Pump from EBay

Legend
    Blog Entries

Good luck and keep us informed.. ANd how many miles are on your rig??

I will post an update when I get the pump installed. There are 125,000 miles on my truck.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Asking because that is around the same miles that alot of people seem to need to replace their fuel pumps...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by