GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Best CAI for Sound, and MPG?

Hey everyone, i've been reading through some other threads trying to get ideas for a CAI for my Sierra. I'm not really worried about a massive HP gain or w/e, but just something that sounds good when i get on it a little and maybe a little MPG increase. My friend has a tundra and has a CAI that you can hear it sort of "suck air" into it and its pretty nice sounding. Kind of looking for something like that. Im guessing Volant is the way to go? Any opinions or past experiences? Sorry if a thread like this has been created, just post the link in a reply thread for me and ill go there.

Thanks all.

2005 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4
    - 20% Tint
    - Line-Ex
    - 6" Fabtech Lift
    - 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    - 20" XD Badlands
    - SuperChips Flaspaq
    - Cat-Back Exhaust, Short Flo Mufflers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJGvPplLV0
    - Chrome Mirrors
    - RECON Smoked Cab Lights
    - K&N Filter

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1
    - 20% Tint

Jr. Apprentice

k&n and volant cold air intakes are good products...i have a k&n on my truck,...aftermarket exhaust helps these products as well.

Awesome. I've got the exhaust already. Just looking for some else semi-small to add a little aggressive sound maybe and possibly more MPG. Another question though. If I *may* be planning to do a turbo charger in the future, so is putting an intake system in a waste of time?? Need to read more into turbos and what not but didn't know if there were any opinions on that. THanks

check out the Banks cai intake. I personallly like the look better than the volant. The K&N is an open air system, wouldnt recommend, higher temps + more dust. Not a big fan of the open element.
    Quote Originally Posted by x3no View Post
    Awesome. I've got the exhaust already. Just looking for some else semi-small to add a little aggressive sound maybe and possibly more MPG. Another question though. If I *may* be planning to do a turbo charger in the future, so is putting an intake system in a waste of time?? Need to read more into turbos and what not but didn't know if there were any opinions on that. THanks
    2008 Silverado LTZ Crew 4x4 5.3L

Stock 20 w/ Cooper Zeon LTZ 33's
    Navigation
    DVD
    HD Trailering
    Alumiknox Black Truck Box
    Bilstein 5100's Leveling Shocks

All of the CAI's will give you some forum of Improvement.......I've have been running a K&N CAI......I could Not be any more Pleased with it.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I see. Getting a few mixed responses here. Seems like they are all good depending on each truck. I'll be looking into the Volant, Banks, and K&N CAI and comparing. Thanks guys. Feel free to continue to discuss if there is more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by x3no View Post
    Ya if you are planning on doing a Turbo......Don't waste your Time or Money on a CAI.

I recommend you just get a filter for your stock intake. Thats the main reason why new intakes get performance gains, because the stock paper filter is very restrictive.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
    I recommend you just get a filter for your stock intake. Thats the main reason why new intakes get performance gains, because the stock paper filter is very restrictive.
    x2....and I Agree 100%....on getting Just the Filter.

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    x2....and I Agree 100%....on getting Just the Filter.
    Changing the filter is just as good if not better than getting a CAI. I have an 07 5.3 auto with 3.73s, My Dad has an 08 5.3 auto with 3.73s. I bought the K&N replacement filter and my Dad bought the K&N CAI and we get the Same MPG within .3 so make your own choice but I think they are useless.

07 NBS Crew cab SLT 4x4

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by