GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I also has just a K&N Filter....then put in their CAI and for my Truck .....I have Received Better Results with the CAI over the Drop in filter......Every truck is different.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    I also has just a K&N Filter....then put in their CAI and for my Truck .....I have Received Better Results with the CAI over the Drop in filter......Every truck is different.
    You say better results. Better MPG or seat of your pants dyno. Or it sounds tougher because I won't deny that my Dads sounds better in cab than mine does.

07 NBS Crew cab SLT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerdave View Post
    You say better results. Better MPG or seat of your pants dyno. Or it sounds tougher because I won't deny that my Dads sounds better in cab than mine does.
    Better Results with Fuel Mileage......As far as H.P Gains.....Can't really said.... as I've never put the truck on a dyno????.....also with the CAI...Better Throttle Response....and on Sound a little bit more of the Roar......which is always Good!!!.......
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 05-25-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Corrected Spelling

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerdave View Post
    IDK if you have aftermarket exhaust on your truck, but CAI's are worhtless unless you have a high-flow exhaust. A motor is like an air pump. If you want to get more air into them threw a CAI, you gota get more out by the way of aftermarket exhaust.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

I see. So is there any particular type of filter that is better than others and less restrictive?

2005 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4
    - 20% Tint
    - Line-Ex
    - 6" Fabtech Lift
    - 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    - 20" XD Badlands
    - SuperChips Flaspaq
    - Cat-Back Exhaust, Short Flo Mufflers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJGvPplLV0
    - Chrome Mirrors
    - RECON Smoked Cab Lights
    - K&N Filter

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1
    - 20% Tint

I had the K&N cai on my Tahoe and didn't notice any MPG gains over the drop in K&N filter. I thought it would be cool to have the added sound, but that got old quick for me. I do like the sound of hte exhaust, but didn't care for the added sound up front near the cab. On my Silverado I will put in the drop in and then add the Magna Flow.
    It all comes down to preferrence really. Not too much significant change in the HP or MPG department to make a difference.

I just ordered a Banks CAI for myself. Ill let you know in about a week if I notice any difference at all from the stock intake.
    2008 Silverado LTZ Crew 4x4 5.3L

Stock 20 w/ Cooper Zeon LTZ 33's
    Navigation
    DVD
    HD Trailering
    Alumiknox Black Truck Box
    Bilstein 5100's Leveling Shocks

Ok sounds good, thanks!

2005 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4
    - 20% Tint
    - Line-Ex
    - 6" Fabtech Lift
    - 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    - 20" XD Badlands
    - SuperChips Flaspaq
    - Cat-Back Exhaust, Short Flo Mufflers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJGvPplLV0
    - Chrome Mirrors
    - RECON Smoked Cab Lights
    - K&N Filter

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1
    - 20% Tint

My exhaust made all the difference. Dropped in a K&N filter and not bothering with the K&N CAI I had planned to install. MPG, great sound, great performance out of my exhaust. After my lift, superchipped it and did the exhaust and my MPG's are right around what it was stock except my truck is much more powerful. In love with my Chevy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Vanessa (Fife, WA)
    2007 4x4 Silverado LT
    6" Superlift / Leveling Kit / Superchip
    MBRP Cat Back Performance Exhaust
    35" Tires / 19" Wheels / Smittybilt Nerfs
    Custom 2 Tone Leather Interior

1978 3/4 Ton K5 Blazer Monster Truck
    8" suspension lift, 3" body lift
    44" tires, 16.5" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by x3no View Post
    Ok sounds good, thanks!
    Well got the banks cai installed. Does seem to help a little with acceleration and low end torque. When I opened the box I was surprised at how large the air filter is. This thing is huge. Installed it to specs and had a little trouble getting it lined up with the holes in the fender well, spoke to banks tech support, going to take pictures and see if how i have it is normal or not. Bottom of intake is open, if you decide to add the scoop i guess. Was caught off guard by that. Its open to the fender opening and headlight assembly but chevy has pretty much closed off the area from the engine bay so there shouldnt be much heat pulled into the intake from the bottom. Design of filter seems like it would keep the filter dry if i was to ever go through deep water.

As far as sound goes, under normal conditions it gives the truck a little meatier tone, not much though unless you floor it. If you floor it the engine gives off a deep growl almost sounds like and aftermarket exhaust. Intake gives pretty much no interior drone or or resonance unless you really get on it, unlike some K&N filters I have had in the past.

I was amazed at how much sound deadening traps that chevy installed in the intake pipe. I figure the banks one flows better, but time will tell if it helps the mpg's any. Preliminarily I have gone through one tank of gas and it looks like I may be getting 1 mpg better with mixed highway and city driving. This is by looking at on board computer and by calculating it off the pump.
    2008 Silverado LTZ Crew 4x4 5.3L

Stock 20 w/ Cooper Zeon LTZ 33's
    Navigation
    DVD
    HD Trailering
    Alumiknox Black Truck Box
    Bilstein 5100's Leveling Shocks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast