GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Taking a little off the tailshaft

How does one cut the tail shaft from a 2wd turbo 350 tranny, to make the tail shaft fit into the transfer case. Tried reciprocating saw, lube, and a bunch of elbow grease, and 10 minutes, and it got me 2mm into it. Basically past the splines.

Look at that hole!

Hey, i can see down your flywheel lol.

What a mess of stuff...

Nice orange turbo 350 tranny to be put in.

Basically what i need to cut off, is what sticks out past the adapter and transfer case mount.
    Last edited by ippielb; 05-24-2010 at 11:46 AM.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Those shafts are hardened steel, you're going to have a hell of a time getting it cut even with a good saw. I would think you'd want to replace the tailshaft with the correct length one, but don't know if that's possible.

I was looking at changing my van trans out with one from a 4x4, but the tailshaft is obviously too short. Was curious if it's possible to swap them.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Quote Originally Posted by dualdj1 View Post
    Those shafts are hardened steel, you're going to have a hell of a time getting it cut even with a good saw. I would think you'd want to replace the tailshaft with the correct length one, but don't know if that's possible.

I was looking at changing my van trans out with one from a 4x4, but the tailshaft is obviously too short. Was curious if it's possible to swap them.
    You should be able to swap the shaft w/ one from a 4x4, have to disassemble the trans to do it.

A machinist should be able to cut it but you would still need to take it out of the trans...
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Wow- I would try a grinder with several cut off wheels.

Wear some sort of mask and eye protection-
    Also-like dualdj said- HARDENED STEEL- pack your lunch it could take quite a while to get thru it.

Can't you find a replacement? I'm guessing you have a really good reason to cut it rather than replace it-maybe it is tough to replace, or hard to find in that length- or expensive?

You can eventually cut almost anything with a cut off wheel-won't cut as cleanly as a saw-and you have to keep your cut at 90 degrees-not easy. Hardened steel is HARD- get the wheels that make the most impressive claims of cutting the hardest stuff!
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Abrasive cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. Bevel the splines and clean up when you are done.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Can't you find a replacement? I'm guessing you have a really good reason to cut it rather than replace it-maybe it is tough to replace, or hard to find in that length- or expensive?
    basically, besides finding a replacement, you have to disassemble the whole trans to change it.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

dualdj1

Thanks-figured it was something like that. It isn't the sort of part you can "slip" out slip in.

Yes,I would do just what he is doing-carefully cut that sucker with a grinder and cut off wheels.

My cheapo 4.5" $20 Harbor Freight grinder is my "universal" tool. Currently I'm using that sucker to cut .092" acrylic plexiglas sheets. I'm putting little window ACs in to save $$ on cooling costs (New Orleans is hot- 92 degrees everyday already and true summer is 4 weeks off).

Cut off wheels seem to be able to cut everything-eventually. Maybe the hardening is mainly just the surface and under it is just REALLY HARD Tough STEEL instead of really really hard steel.

It might take 1/2 hour and several wheels.

Luck
    Charlie

Haha, wow, that was easy. I just went to Princess Auto and bought 5 powerfist grinder cutting blades for $10. I expected it would take quite a few to get through the bastard. It took half of one blade, and 2 minutes for me to cut through the entire shaft. Then 2 minutes with a grinder blade to it to clean it up. In total it probably took me 7 minutes to cut it up and clean it up.

Legend

Yeah, my cheapo grinder is my universal cutting tool.

The sucker will cut anything.

Amazing what those abrasive wheels will cut.

Well, I figured at least 10 minutes- just 2 minutes huh. Guess once you get through the hardening-maybe just 1/1000 or so- it is just tuff but not too hard steel.

Luck
    Charlie