GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Question Change out all the locks!

    Here's the scenario....someone has a set of keys and key fob for my truck that I cannot get back and I want to prevent them from tampering with my truck.

    02' 3500 LS DRW

    I wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion on changing out the door locks and ignition switch. I would also like to know if there is a way to re-program my key fob to a new one so theirs will not work.

    What would you do...and getting the key/fob back isn't an option. I am pretty mechanically inclined and I do have a subscription to ALLDATADIY for reference.

    Thanks for any help on this.

  2. #2
    Master Mechanic Dr_Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    Posts
    706

    Default

    You should be able reset the remote door locks probably my just going through the programming procedure.
    Checkout http://www.programyourremote.com/

    Locks just go see a lock smith and they can change the wafers around and cut you a new key its not cheap though.
    Last edited by Dr_Zero; 05-26-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    My trucks!

    1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Zero View Post
    You should be able reset the remote door locks probably my just going through the programming procedure.
    Checkout http://www.programyourremote.com/

    Locks just go see a lock smith and they can change the wafers around and cut you a new key its not cheap though.
    Thanks Dr_Zero!

    What I don't understand is how the keyless entry works in a full circle of re-programming.

    If I re-program my remote with the programming instructions you provided, will the other remote no longer function? I wasn't sure if the body control module was unique and every time you program a remote it will use the same code/frequency or does it change the code/frequency each time you go through the programming?

    Thanks again!

  4. #4

    Default

    I think I found my answer....so...this will cancel out any previously programmed remotes.

    All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to four transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

  5. #5
    Master Mechanic Dr_Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by promod View Post
    I think I found my answer....so...this will cancel out any previously programmed remotes.

    All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to four transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.
    You got it!

    When I got my truck I had no remotes so I got one off of ebay then when it worked out I got another and had to reprogram the system for both just couldnt add another.
    So if you go into the program mode the system will forget all the remotes except the ones you basically log back into system.

  6. #6

    Default

    You still need to change the locks since the missing key would otherwise still open the door and it's VATS chip would still be recognized...Durn VATS keys are pricy unless you just get new door locks and carry two keys incase your fob battery fails...
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

  7. #7

    Default

    I am considering two options on the locks/ignition.

    Option 1

    Have the dealer do the following:

    Ignition:$ 62.70
    Keys: $19.00 x 2 = $38.00
    Door Locks: $74.13 x 2 = $144.26
    Labor: $396.00
    ----------------------------
    Total: $640.00

    Option 2

    Since I don't believe the door locks need to be replaced, only re-keyed, I was thinking that maybe a locksmith could do this with the door locks and ignition.

    Any suggestions? I haven't had a lot of experience with locksmiths. I can do the key fob programming.

    Thanks!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by promod View Post
    Option 2

    Since I don't believe the door locks need to be replaced, only re-keyed, I was thinking that maybe a locksmith could do this with the door locks and ignition.

    Any suggestions? I haven't had a lot of experience with locksmiths. I can do the key fob programming.

    Thanks!
    Call a locksmith, I had the ignition key stick in my wife's Geo Prism at the local mall and the local 'mobile' locksmith was able to get the key to move, pull the tumbler and re-build it in his van for a reasonable price...

  9. #9

    Default

    promod seems nice enough...

    Let's all get together and retrieve the wayward set of keys for the price of pizza and pops...

    1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KidHauler View Post
    promod seems nice enough...


    Called the locksmith today.. $300 to re-key both doors and ignition including replacement keys. That's a lot cheaper than the alternative of $600+

    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Oil Change at Texas Oil x Change
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Compact Cars (Aveo & Cobalt)
    Replies: 0
    Last: 06-11-2010, 03:30 PM
  2. Steering locks up-help!
    By turfguy in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last: 11-29-2009, 08:01 PM
  3. help...door locks
    By bowler635 in forum GM Electrical Tech
    Replies: 6
    Last: 11-27-2009, 07:00 AM
  4. help...door locks
    By bowler635 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last: 11-26-2009, 04:31 PM
  5. Locks
    By garvey06 in forum Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)
    Replies: 1
    Last: 06-02-2006, 09:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •