GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2003 suburban A/C problems...

The guy at the garage is scratching his head. He can’t figure out why the A/C on my suburban is not working. He charged the entire system, it was empty…and he even changed out one of the sensors. How can I describe the situation like he did: its like the vehicle does not know what the ambient temperature is outside of the vehicle, so it won’t turn on the A/C” anybody else ever run into this trouble….hes saying he needs more diagnostic time, that means dollar signs…he said he cleared all the codes, and there were a few, but he still can't get it to blow cold...

When he charged the system, did he vacuum it out at all? If it was empty, this would have been a crucial step.
    Also, if your truck can't read the ambient temperature, then the ambient air temperature sensor might be bad or have damaged/loose wiring. Have him check that out.

okay heres the deal...there are two sensors in the grill of the burban. one goes to the thermometer on the rear view mirror, there should be a second one that goes to the ambient air temp...my ambient air temp sensor was hidden behind my signal light on the passenger side due to a collision with a dear. the sensor troubleshot was the thermometer....once we located the correct sensor we determined it was bad and replaced it. still had to take the dash apart and change a switch that controls the return or recirc air before we could get the A/C to work as it should...but its working for now...good thing I love my rig!!