GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Slow Fueling

Hybrid View

Default Slow Fueling

The patient: 2002 Silverado LS 3500 DRW

I bought this truck used in 2007. I use it mostly towing a trailer and on long hauls. When I pull into a Flying J / Pilot / TA or any other truck stop to get fuel, I can almost count faster than the digits roll on the fuel pump.

For some reason even the lowest setting on the fuel nozzle will cause the automatic shutoff to kick off and splash fuel out. It literally takes me 15 minutes to put the fuel in.

Any ideas what to check out would be appreciated. I just can believe this is normal. It's a real pain for sure!

Thanks!

Look and see if you have a kink in the hose or if someone has put an anti siphon spring in the hose. Pull the hose off and check it and the vent hose.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

Quote Originally Posted by giorge View Post
    Look and see if you have a kink in the hose or if someone has put an anti siphon spring in the hose. Pull the hose off and check it and the vent hose.
    Thanks Giorge!

How can I tell if there is an anti-siphon spring in the hose? Where is the vent hose located?

Sorry about the slow reply, I've been gone. Look up under the bed where your fuel cap is and you will see the hoses. if it is a dually check and make sure your main filler hose goes down to the tank and does not have any rises, if it does you might to trim it or tie it down. I have seen that problem a lot especially if the bed has been changed or taken off. If your hose doesn't have a down slope the gas backs up in the hose. I have a friend that has a custom built bed and he puts a block under the rear wheels on the drivers side to get faster fueling. You might try that before taking it apart, that would give you a quick answer. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Last edited by giorge; 05-31-2010 at 01:20 AM.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!