GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Bouncy Drivers side tire

Hey all! Haven't been on in a while but I have a question. When I am driving my lifted 1999 Suburban on the highway at about 70 plus mph my front drivers side tire starts to bounce a lot. It's almost scary sometimes. I have had all 4 tires balanced recently thinking that might work but it didn't When I bought my beast the prior owner said she'd been sitting for about a year because his wifey ran it out of water. Could there possible be a flat spot on the tire causing this or maybe a bent wheel? If anybody has any ideas as to what may be causing this please let me know, it's very annoying.

A bent wheel should show up when they get balanced, lifted how much? Shocks to short. A flat spot in your tire, take the tire off and roll it and check it out. Bars to tight?? Worn out suspension??Could be a bad tire if its been sitting..
    Last edited by bigdaddy77084; 05-27-2010 at 09:30 AM.
    95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy77084 View Post
    A bent wheel should show up when they get balanced, lifted how much? Shocks to short. A flat spot in your tire, take the tire off and roll it and check it out. Bars to tight?? Worn out suspension??Could be a bad tire if its been sitting..
    Pretty much what he said.....
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Put the "bad" tire on another corner of the truck and see if the problem follows, if not it's in the suspension, if it does it's the wheel/tire.
    Adam

Also check for broken belts in the tire.
    Dana South Carolina

1986 V20 Suburban
    1988 V20 Suburban
    1995 Camaro convertable
    2003 Trailblazer LT
    :sign0196::wink2:

I agree with adampaul1964. Switch the tire and see if it stays with the tire or side. but a bouncing tire a lot of times can be shock, as the purpuse of the shock is to downward pressure on the suspension keeping the tire down. usually when I have seen that symptom it has been a blown shock. One way to check is to remove lower shock bolt and see if the shock extends quickly. Now if it does they arent the easiest to compress but not really that hard either. If it doest extend or does so very slowly the shock needs to be replaced. Might be easier to check shock before switching sides with the tire.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    ...... as the purpuse of the shock is to downward pressure on the suspension keeping the tire down.......

Really? Never heard that before....

may not have been the best way to put it but thats the way I've always had it explained. meant to keep the tire in contact with the road, while also dampening obviously. More to illustrate that when they go bad the tire will start to bounce. Obviously they do multiple functions and more detailed than that of my previous explanation
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 05-27-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Shocks are new so I'm certain that's not the problem here. I believe it's a 3" lift but not too sure being I bought it like that. I will try some of the other suggestions and see what happens. I know I'm due for some new tires anyways but I still need to make sure that they're the cause of my bouncy tire problem.

I agree with Adam as well. I had the same problem on a Caravan I used to own. Wheel would bounce like crazy after hitting 70 mph or more. However tire would balance out on a machine. Swap the tire and see if hop goes with it. If it does its tire or wheel. My guess would be the wheel. If the belts in the tire have broke you should see a bulge or even an indentation in the sidewall. Dont forget to look on the inside of the tire as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by