GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starter wiring

Default starter wiring

My starter went out or so I thought. I replaced the positive cable from the battery and the starter at the same time. I was having an ignition problem and seemed to be one or the other. I replaced both. The problem now is I'm having a slow drain on my battery. Now this could be wiring related to the starter, or could be my alternator not charging properly. I'm not sure. I'm going to get the alternator tested. Can someone tell me what wires need to go to the starter? I have a ground from it to the frame, the large positive cable from the battery and a smaller wire to one side of the solenoid. A wiring diagram would work or picture of starter with proper wiring ID...
    Last edited by vintage_car; 05-26-2010 at 09:32 AM.

get it running and pull the positive cable off the battery,if it dies you have a problem.
    95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

so if I remove the positive cable after it is running, the truck should continue to run? does that allow for any unregulated voltage to be passed through the system, potentially harming other electrical components?
    And if it does die...what is the problem?

just make sure nothing is on..What year is it? I know for sure its works on older ones. Your alternator should put out enough juice to
    keep your motor running.
    95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

it is a 93 1/2ton 4wd. so if it does die, what do I look for? If it does run, what have I isolated... sorry not really understanding the method and what this tells me or doesn't tell me.

I have attached a couple of pics of the wiring. The small red cable that is on the solenoid isn;t hooked up to anything. The thicker cable that is black that goes into a split loom goes to the battery post and not sure where the other end goes... maybe the block on the firewall? Not sure that is causing the battery drain or not. Truck runs fine, starts fine...just has this slow battery leak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails burbwiring01.jpg   burbwiring02.jpg  
    Last edited by vintage_car; 05-27-2010 at 09:03 AM.

There should be exactly two wires coming out of your positive post. The big one goes down to the starter, and the little one goes to the back of the alternator. The little one looks like it needs replacing.

what wires should I have on the starter? big cable for positive, ground to frame, and what color wire goes to the solenoid? Can someone tell me some points to test with a test light to better diagnose?
    Last edited by vintage_car; 05-26-2010 at 11:19 PM.

If it's still the stock wiring, there should still be only two wires: the battery wire(red) and the small solenoid wire(red).
    Good points to test:
    1) Main wire on the back of the alternator with it running.
    2) Battery post with it running.
    You really need a voltmeter for this. A test light will tell you if current is going through, but not how much current. Running, it should read 13.5-14V. I'm pretty sure the alternator wire going to the battery is broken(it looks broken from the angle of the picture).
    Last edited by Chris Miller; 05-27-2010 at 06:42 AM.

The power block on the firewall, when should it have power- mine is constantly at 12v, even with the truck off? from the altenator it reads 12.03v at idle speed. Does that signify a bad alternator?
    Last edited by vintage_car; 05-27-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast