GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Two codes. Need help with them.

So, i got two codes on my truck, one is a P0131, which is O2 Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1). And the second code is what really concerns me. P0300 Random Misfire. I'm very concerned about that one. What can i do to try and solve these?

I just installed long tube headers on my truck, and one the o2 sensors i needed to cut them and extend the length of the wires. And i thought, there was only three wires when i cut them, a white one, blue one, and a black one. Well it turns out there's 2 black wires. And i don't know which is what. So, its a possibility that i hooked two wires up incorrectly on the o2 sensors. I had a 50/50 chance, so i thought i would get lucky. Would having the o2 sensor hooked up incorrectly cause the random misfire? Or is that a spark plug/wire issue? Right now, my truck feels really gutless, and is burning a LOT of fuel, so i'm assuming either one, if not both of the front o2 sensors are hooked up wrong.
    Last edited by ippielb; 05-27-2010 at 06:11 PM.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

The two codes may or may not be related.

Where you suspect there may have been a problem with the new O2 sensor install, I'd probably start by making sure you got it wired in right. That seems like a good place to start. If either or both codes are still present after resolving that known issue, then we'll figure that out then.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Jr. Apprentice

yes is the simple answer. an o2 sensor can POSSIBLY cause a random misfire. hooking the two wires up wrong will give the computer a false read. did you buy a factory replacement o2 sensor or an aftermarket. sometimes aftermarket ones can be a ad bit different too...but most of the times the Bosch ones avail. at your local auto parts store work perfectly fine. Try installing the wires the opposite way if possible, perhaps adding a quick connect in case THAT is the wrong way and the way you have it is right, and go from there. From the sounds of it though, the o2 is your problem but don't hold me too it.

Does anyone know where i can find a diagram of the o2 sensors? I don't want to cut the insulation on the sensors that are in the back.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

the 2 blacks should both go to the same place (looks like the O2 heater circuit), so it shouldn't matter if they get reversed. Make sure you have a good ground (probly the white) and that your signal wire (probly the blue) has good connection.

You can also test and make sure your sensor is working, by pulling it out, mount in a vice, and use a torch to heat the tip. should output about .6v on the signal wire (with the ground probe touching the O2 housing)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4855734_test-sensors.html
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.