GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Alternador help

Jr. Engineer
    Reidsville, North Carolina, United States

Default Alternador help

I need to replace my alternador i have a 2004 silverado 2500 how do i know what amp it is or does it make a difference i have seen 105 amp and 145 amp Thanks
    [IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Craig\My Documents\Downloads[/IMG]T Tuff Country Leveling Kit 285/75/16 Mickey Thompson MTZ 16x8 Moto Metal 951 Wheels Tow Mirrors Westin Winch Tray Pioneer Radio Blackout Bowtie Billet Grill Insert Gullwing Toolbox

Legend
    Blog Entries

To be honest im not 100% on that but from my understanding if you have a tow package etc.. that usually comes with the heavier duty alternator.. However i would see if the 145amp would drop right in since the extra 40amps will make a difference in starting and driving and your lights...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Sr. Engineer

If you have electric/heated mirrors
    Electric seats and various other electric accessories, then do the higher amp

If you don't then the 105 should suffice.

I only have electric locks and windows, so the one I have is 105A

Quote Originally Posted by groceryman View Post
    I need to replace my alternador i have a 2004 silverado 2500 how do i know what amp it is or does it make a difference i have seen 105 amp and 145 amp Thanks
    To find out what size Alt you have in your Truck.......go to the inside of your glove box and you will be looking for one of the following RPO codes...

....K68....is a 105 amp Alt
    ....KG3...is a 145 amp Alt.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Or just look on the side of the Alt you have now. It should say But as above If you can swing it go for the 145 for a little better charging of the truck and Battery
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Sr. Engineer

You can't hurt the truck by going to the bigger Amp.....but if you to go the smaller amp, when the truck is rated for 145, that will cause problems.

If you want to break the bank, go to WranglerNW.com, they have a 190 amp. Every part in it and the alternater itself is made in the USA. But it is $$$$$.

Jr. Engineer
    Reidsville, North Carolina, United States

Thanks 99heartbeat that was a great help.
    [IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Craig\My Documents\Downloads[/IMG]T Tuff Country Leveling Kit 285/75/16 Mickey Thompson MTZ 16x8 Moto Metal 951 Wheels Tow Mirrors Westin Winch Tray Pioneer Radio Blackout Bowtie Billet Grill Insert Gullwing Toolbox