GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Installing New Deck

I'm about to be getting a new head unit to replace the factory one. I've looked at some videos and stuff here and there about installing the new decks on my year truck, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do it myself or not. I'm going from a double din to a single din.

So I'm trying to get some opinions from everyone who might have done this install themselves and see what you recommend: doing it myself, or taking it somewhere and having them do the install for $40 or $50. (I'm not even sure if this is what they would charge, I'm just figuring it wouldn't be more than that.)
    MY LUG NUTS REQUIRE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR RICER MAKES! :sign0011:

2004 Silverado 2500 "Judas"
    Crew Cab and Short Bed
    6.0L Vortec
    Diablo Predator
    True Dual Exhaust: Hooker MaxFlow Mufflers and X-Pipe
    Drop-In K&N Air Filter
    Alpine Stereo System: iDA-x303 Deck, SPS-600 Front and Rear Speakers, KTP-445 Amplifier

Future Upgrades Include:
    Cosmetic/Other: Spray-In Bed Liner, HID head lights, Leveling Kit
    Performance: Underdrive Pulleys

Legend

Do you have the install parts already? harness, dash kit, radio adapter. If you so some places may not use them and you would have to buy them all over again. Do you have a wire crimping set?
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Well, when I buy the head unit, I'm going to be buying it from crutchfield. So they'll be sending me the wiring harness/adapter for my truck. As far as the piece to fit the single din head unit into the double din slot, I was going to buy a different one than what crutchfield offers because I wanted to have a "cubby" sort of slot underneath the unit so that I can put my iPod in it.

As far as a wire crimping set, I have some couplings and male and female connectors, but not a whole lot. That's not a problem buying more if I need to. But I didn't think that I would have to do any splicing with the adapter that crutchfield sends me would I?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by c_m_chance View Post
    Well, when I buy the head unit, I'm going to be buying it from crutchfield. So they'll be sending me the wiring harness/adapter for my truck. As far as the piece to fit the single din head unit into the double din slot, I was going to buy a different one than what crutchfield offers because I wanted to have a "cubby" sort of slot underneath the unit so that I can put my iPod in it.

As far as a wire crimping set, I have some couplings and male and female connectors, but not a whole lot. That's not a problem buying more if I need to. But I didn't think that I would have to do any splicing with the adapter that crutchfield sends me would I?
    Do it yourself for sure. I did the exact same thing as you are doing, double din to single with a set up from Crutchfield, and in a 03 Silverado. The wiring is pretty basic, and there is not a whole lot of electrical system knowledge needed. The one thing you should get is the GM Chime adapter from crutchfield too...not really to keep the chimes, but because it saves you the hassle of having to find a alternative power point to tap into. let us know how it goes!

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

Ok great! Ya that was an item that was recommended by crutchfield, the alarm and chime adapter. I was it all pretty much plug and play for the most part? Or was there some splicing and all that involved? I'm not too worried about it to be honest, just want to know what I'm up against lol

Legend

I wouldnt fo the male to female connectors, i would just do the one piece splicers then you dont have to worry about them slipping apart, thats how i have always done mine if i dont just solder them together.

I thought the harness that crutchfield sends, however, was supposed to be so that you didn't have to do any splicing and you could just plug and play.

Legend

you still have to connect the actual GM wire harness they send to the head unit wiring harness

It's easy, they send you the wiring diagrams and all you have to do is match up the wires and connect each wire with a butt splice.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    you still have to connect the actual GM wire harness they send to the head unit wiring harness
    +1, there is still a little bit of connecting wire to wire, either soldering or splicing...either way though its really easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by