GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aftermarket stereo installation in a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado?

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab and I bought a Kenwood KDC-MP145 stereo to install in it. I've already installed new speakers, but I don't know how to install the head unit at all. I have seen these GM harnesses that keep the factory chimes and what not, but I know that I don't have to have that. I know how to take the factory head unit out of the dash, but I don't know how to connect the new head unit. On other cars it seems like it's plug and play or something. Can someone PLEASE show me an article, video, etc. on how to install a head unit in my truck without buying some $100 GM harness?

Legend

you just need to pick out your wiring harness for your model and just use some crimp connectors (they are red)to mate it to the aftermarket head unit wire harness, thats really it, then its plug and play from there.

If you just go to menards, home depot or lowes you can usually get an entire set of all different connectors and a crimper for 20 bucks in one kit

i cant check youtube while at work but i am sure if you search for "aftermarket stereo installation" there will be a ton of them. A standard cd/mp3 player is pretty universal from one model/company to the next fro connecting the wires
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    you just need to pick out your wiring harness for your model and just use some crimp connectors (they are red)to mate it to the aftermarket head unit wire harness, thats really it, then its plug and play from there.

If you just go to menards, home depot or lowes you can usually get an entire set of all different connectors and a crimper for 20 bucks in one kit

i cant check youtube while at work but i am sure if you search for "aftermarket stereo installation" there will be a ton of them. A standard cd/mp3 player is pretty universal from one model/company to the next fro connecting the wires
    I've been looking for a wiring harness, but the only one I can find is $80 from Crutchfield.

Here's the link to it: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC...r.html?tp=3486

Other than that, I can't find any other harnesses. I could care less about the door chimes and little reminders, I'd actually like to have them gone. I'm sure that there's plenty of people on here that have installed an aftermarket head unit in their Silverado.

Legend

*Threads merged*

Please do not double post in different parts of the forum. Your question will be viewed and hopefully answered. Making multiple posts of the same content in different areas does not ensure a helpful response.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Quote Originally Posted by TrailLeadr View Post
    *Threads merged*

Please do not double post in different parts of the forum. Your question will be viewed and hopefully answered. Making multiple posts of the same content in different areas does not ensure a helpful response.
    Sorry, I'm new here. I just thought that it could apply to both the General Tech Q&A and Audio, Video & Electrical sections.

Just so all of you know, as much as I didn't want to, I ended up buying the $80 harness from Crutchfield.

Quote Originally Posted by zachmilz View Post
    Just so all of you know, as much as I didn't want to, I ended up buying the $80 harness from Crutchfield.

I think skosche(?) has a much cheaper harness at walmart.

I paid twenty-five for my wiring adapter from Best Buy. I normally wouldn't have bought from them, but I had a graduation gift card. It works just fine.

'01 Chevrolet S10
    -custom air intake
    -painted dash
    -footwell lights
    -Strange Performance stickers
    -exhaust coming soon
    -Xplod Head Unit with iPod connectivity
    -12" Sony Xplod woofer
    -Majestic 400 watt amp, bridged

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
    :party:

I had the same prob bro, i just went with the new harness
    2006 Silverado
    Exterior:
    2" Level
    275/70/17 Wrangler AT/S
    17" ATX Thugs

Interior:
    Pioneer FH-P8000BT
    Alpine - 6-1/2 Type R Speakers
    Rockford Fosgate - Punch 12" P3S Sub
    Rockford Fosgate - Punch 750W Class BD AMP

you can do it with the regular $20 GM harness, you just have to run your own swithced power.

Cody- Tulsa, OK
    '04 silverado

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast