GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sr. Mechanic

Google TBI mods that will help with fuel delivery. Exhaust, underdrive pulleys upgrade the ignition system. Keep in mind that doing all the mods to get the HP will not work if you can not supply the fuel.

Look into long tube headers if you are looking for hi RPM horse power or a Tri Y for low end torque. Opening up the air system will help on any truck. Upgrading the ignition system will help get you a little more, but pay attention to your fuel delivery, the Ulimate TBI Mods will help make sure all of your HP adders will get the what the need. The more HP you have the more fuel (pressure) it needs.

Pick an area to start and research, research and research some more. If you cant get the best parts then wait until you can. This is one area that you will get what you pay for.

Good luck, if you want post a more direct question on certain parts, their are lots of people willing to help on this site. And welcome aboard.

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

Legend
    Blog Entries

Is it stock right now or any mods?? is it a 4bbl carb or a 2bbl carb?? does it have an aftermarket intake or stock?? Headers or manifolds??
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

I apoligize for the multiple threads. Wasn't sure what I was doing yet. This is my first forum, It's an 82' K10 Pickup. According to the previous owners the engine has been rebuilt within the past 5 years or so and has been pretty well maintained ever since. It has an edelbrock 4 bbl. carb and edelbrock intake. The old headers and exhaust are in BAD shape! I'm shopping for new headers but every time i run across a nice affordable set it says something like "NOTE: will not clear motor mount." I'm not sure how to solve that?
    Last edited by ahobson1; 05-31-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hmm well with a good carb like that and a better intake. you are already doing pretty well, now the questions is does it have cam?? If not then an RV towing cam might help you out and they run usually 100-200 or so. As for the headers i havent heard about them not clearing the motor mount, someone else might be able to clear that issue up for you. Does it have the HEI ignition? If so an MSD controller might help but once again 200 plus.. But with a good set of headers and exhaust then you will be able to tell how much more power you are looking for since leaky exhaust can cause you power..

It does not have a cam and I'm really not sure if I'm going to go that far with it, a friend of mine has a Pontiac TA with an LS1 and he recently put new headers and exhaust in and it really gave it a boost. I think I'm just going to go that route for now and hopefully ill be satisfied. Ill definately research the towing cam some more though in case i want to go back and do that later. Just dont have the time or money right now and my trucks a daily driver so its hard to get a whole lot done to it right now. Thanks for all the info!
    -1982 K10 Pickup AKA "Big Red" -

Legend
    Blog Entries

I got ya... But yes its amazing what a good exhaust will do for ya.. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hmmm...Im looking into replacing my ignition system. Do i have to replace the whole thing for it to make any difference or would a nice aftermarket cap and rotor set do some good?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Just a new cap and rotor will help.. Aftermarket really doesnt do a whole lot for the cap and rotor.. a good tune up might help the whole truck out since who knows when it was really done last.. Wires/plugs/ cap/rotor/ etc. Aftermarket ignitions really dont do a whole lot till you are at a considerably higher output than where you are now, and to help deal with a cam etc. That is why i recommended an ignition upgrade as a last thing. The HEI ignition is quite strong out of the box..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12