GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Exhaust Routing question.

So I really want to cut the old exhaust system off before the original motor and weld a new flowmaster on and put a turn down right off the muffler. Downfalls I have heard about is that it drones extremely bad in cab? Has anyone done this and can give me some two cents? Also I have been told that the exhaust gases will cause the box to rust out faster than normal. Has anyone had experience with this? I really dont like the look of any of the exhaust possibilities since these trucks look better with less in my opinion. Any help will be appreciated.
    David

07 NBS Crew cab SLT 4x4

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerdave View Post
    So I really want to cut the old exhaust system off before the original motor and weld a new flowmaster on and put a turn down right off the muffler. Downfalls I have heard about is that it drones extremely bad in cab? Has anyone done this and can give me some two cents? Also I have been told that the exhaust gases will cause the box to rust out faster than normal. Has anyone had experience with this? I really dont like the look of any of the exhaust possibilities since these trucks look better with less in my opinion. Any help will be appreciated.
    David
    My buddy had an '06 crew cab Silverado and he put a flowmaster super 40 on his truck with dual turn downs under the cab. It had alot of drone. In the cab, the drone makes you think your exhaust is louder than it really is. Inside his cab, it was alot louder than my truck because my exhaust goes to the rear but outside the truck, my straight pipes were way louder. lol. But on my buddys '94 silverado, he also has turndowns but with a turbo muffler and the turndown is under the bed and he has no drone. Hope that helps your decision.
    Last edited by Silverado Junkie; 05-24-2010 at 09:31 PM.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Jr. Mechanic

One reply seriously guys?

07 NBS Crew cab SLT 4x4

It will have a lot of drone, I had it that way and then ran it out the side.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

wish i could help, but im looking to do the same thing. im thinking turn down under the bed though, to eliminate most of the drone...
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab LT
    20 inch Incubus Wheel
    35 Pro Comp Xtreme A/T
    Zone Offroad 6.5 suspension lift
    Dual Flowmaster Super 40s (Turn Downs)
    Low profile tool box
    Diablo Predator Programmer

Jr. Mechanic

Yes! I have ready mixed reviews about the exhaust gasses rotting the box out! So I am not sure what to believe In my own opinion I think that its probably plausible since heat accelerates rust and your exhaust has water vapor in it so I guess I will probably run it all the way out the back.

07 NBS Crew cab SLT 4x4

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Yes! I have ready mixed reviews about the exhaust gasses rotting the box out! So I am not sure what to believe In my own opinion I think that its probably plausible since heat accelerates rust and your exhaust has water vapor in it so I guess I will probably run it all the way out the back.
    You'll like it that way. My exhaust exits to the rear on the left and right side. Ive always liked exhaust that exits to the rear somewhere best.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

I lived in Michigan most my life & everything gets rusty.You can always get tailpipes put on later.
    95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy77084 View Post
    I lived in Michigan most my life & everything gets rusty.You can always get tailpipes put on later.
    Thats true its summer time so I could try it and if it was to damn loud I could weld the original end pipe back on.

07 NBS Crew cab SLT 4x4

Default Re: Exhaust Routing question.

So I really want to cut the old exhaust system off before the original motor and weld a new flowmaster exhaust on and put a turn down right off the muffler. Downfalls I have heard about is that it drones extremely bad in cab? Has anyone done this and can give me some two cents? Also I have been told that the exhaust gases will cause the box to rust out faster than normal. Has anyone had experience with this? I really dont like the look of any of the exhaust possibilities since these trucks look better with less in my opinion. Any help will be appreciated.
    David
    I can give you only one cent. Drone is not really bad in cab. It is just that, you should only make a slight drone. Any extreme drones are bad in cab.
    Last edited by tiresmokindad; 06-16-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast