GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default What was your First Car or Truck?

What was your first Car or Truck?
    I don't feel like searching and digging up a thread about your first car/truck,so I'll start a new one.

I bought my first truck back in 2000, when i was 15. i was about to turn 16, so i went to my local GM dealer (also where I bought my wife's Terrain, and all my vehicles except my mitsubishi). i saw the new 2000 gm trucks in the showroom, but i only had $1,430 to spend.

i went outside and found a 1972 GMC K10 Sierra 1500. it was a standard cab, short box with the 350 and a 4 speed. it was two tone. top and bottom were soft mint green, and the middle stripe was white. if that truck were restored, it would've been absolutely gorgeous. it had a red tailgate and the alignment was off by about 3 inches to the right. the fenders had a gap about 2 inches from the bottom of the doors, and there was no gap at the top of the fenders, meaning it had been jumped. the box was the same deal, there was no gap between the cab and the box at the top of the box, but there was about 2 inches at the bottom of the box.

so basically, the truck was curved like a shallow semi-circle when you looked at it from the side. there was minimal rust, and the frame had been patched with metal and weld and sprayed with undercoat protector and black paint in 1999, so the frame was spotless. body had the biggest rust holes patched and painted, but there was a bit of surface rust. i fell in love with it, brought it home, nick named it the Semi Circle Sierra, and made plans to keep it forever and restore it. wish i could have, and I would've. i would've patched the rust, fixed alignment and straighten the frame, would've got the paint restored to original, not repainted, would've got some 22/23" American Racing Torq Thrust rims (staggered fit), would've put the '72 Chevy front grille and headlight surround on it, rebuild the 350 etc.

in summer of 2004, i had already gotten the alignment and frame straightening done, and the truck was going in for paint restoration 2 weeks after this incident happened. one night, my girlfriend (who is now my beautiful wife) and I were driving home from a party on a country road, and a moose walked in front of my truck, smoked the moose and lost control, flipped the truck onto it's side and totaled it.

i was heartbroken and didn't speak to anyone for at least 3 weeks. got over it, and eventually bought a 1996 Silverado 1500 extended cab stepside with the 350 in it, red gloss color, liked that truck. eventually sold it for a 2005 GMC Sierra (showroom special SLE with too many upgrades to list), of which i rolled in a similar incident, except it was another car and it wasn't my fault.

now I'm here with my '09 Z71. so, what was your first truck, and what's the story behind it?
    Last edited by Steve; 12-14-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: paragraph breaks added by steve to aid in readability

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 **SOLD**
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 Ecoboost crew cab **SOLD**
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L crew cab

Mine was a 85' Toyota 4wd SR5 regular cab 5 speed. Got it when I was 15 in 1988, I beat the living crap out of that truck and it kept running like a top. In 91' I had all of the rust repaired and repainted, removed the roll bar and added a Leer cap. Great little truck, great memories. My first GM was my third vehicle, a 94 Saturn SL1 with upgraded SL2 wheels and Bridgestone Potenza tires. 36K and a year later I traded it on a 95' S-10 2wd ext cab Auto 4cyl (can you say DOG)...

2010 Suburban Z71 5.3 A6, Sheer Silver, Ebony Interior

2004 Lexus RX330 AWD - Netune Blue Metalic

Legend
    Blog Entries

A 1985 Chrysler 5th Ave... 318 V-8, 3spd auto.. with some crazy highway gears in it. I won it in a bet with my step father about the Vikings and the Super bowl (dont ask) it was a bit rust and had exhaust that dumped behind the cat.. Quite a Gutless wonder.. But wow it would do close to 80 in second gear, and nearly 50 in 1st it was wild to run down the highway at 100 and feel like your doing 60 all day long and it wasnt to bad on gas.I ended up trading it for a 1988 Chevy S-10 with the 2.8L auto, and from there my 1988 Chevy 1500 2wd with a 5spd and a 350 and my Nissan Maxima then I joined the army and a dozen cars later here i am with a 1988 again HAHA.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Jr. Apprentice

My first vehicle was a 1975 Chevy El Camino. Was a great vehicle to dink around with as a teenager. Did the normal things like installing a 4 barrel carb, chrome valve covers, duel exhaust, and so on. Was a great ride, Got it when I was 15yrs old (33 now) and sold it just last year. It needed a ton of work as everything was rusting out on it. Still ran great, though. The good old small block 350.

1970 bug when i was 14. I wasnt aloud to leave the yard with it.
    First road legal car was 1968 Impala Fastback
    95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

damn 09, dont ya know you're supposed to keep the rubber side down ??
    gotta get a roll cage and weelie bars for the sides for yours, huh ???
    :fighting0037:
    when in doubt, doubletap !

- buying a new truck, one part at a time :grrrrrr:
    94 Blazer 4x4 k1500 5.7 L - aftermarket cold air intake
    Energy Suspension swaybar & upper and lower control arm bushings
    Pro Comp ES 9000 front shocks, new front drive axles,
    stainless front brake rotors & new pads,
    new Moog front end ball joints, Smittybilt black nerf bar steps,
    MB Racing rims & Hankook ATm off road tires

my first car was a 1971 chevelle bought it when i was 15 fixed it up had it at 400 hp

Default your first car/truck

Purchased new in 1970, when I was in high school a '70 black Hemi Cuda. Had to sell because of to many tickets. Wished I would have kept that one!

First car was a '73 Charger SE with a 400 in it, added headers, a mild cam and switched out the 3.23 rear to a 3.91 posi unit. Ran pretty good, did a lot of rippin' and tearin' around in it, first truck was a 1985 Power Ram bought brand new for a little over $11,000! It was plain jane, vinyl seats, vinyl floor, window cranks, the AM/FM radio option cost more than the 318 engine! That truck pretty much went everywhere! I even drove it across the country from MD to Los Angeles and back.Took it back to the dealer for a bad alternator during the first month I had it, they fixed it but said it was packed with mud and they wouldn't do it again, I can't imagine how it got mud in it! Ended up with 6 inches of spring lift and 36" Super Swampers on it. Broke the chain in the transfer case...twice, still ran when I sold it for $1500 and I still see it once in a while.
    Adam

My first car was an 1987 Chevy Beauville full size van. I loved that van, but I treated it like crap. I never driven any car that I've had as hard as I did that old van. But she took everything I ever gave it and kept on running. Sold that van with over 200,000 miles on it and it still ran good. Then moved to a Ford, Dodge (never again), Nissan, and then a Honda. The honda I bought brand new and at 88,000 miles the trans gave out. So I decided that if that old van could take everything I could give it when I was 16 then it was a pretty tough set up. 350 moter with the 4spd auto. So I decided to go back to the 80's and bought and 1987 Suburban. I dont drive anything like I used to and this old suburban has been great to drive. I'm not giving it up for anything.

1987 Chevy Suburban
    5.7 350 with Edelbrock Cam and Intake
    32x11.5x15 tires
    True Dual Series 40 Flowmaster exhaust
    Long Tube Headers

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast