GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Thoughts after a long road trip

I meant to post this right after my trip, but I've finally gotten around to it. A couple of months ago we drove about 700 miles each way to New Orleans to go on a cruise. We have 4 vehicles, 2 of which are SUV's, but I decided to take the Silverado.

Looking back, I really do think that the pickup is the best way to travel, even over a SUV. We have 2 kids, so we stopped in between to break the trip up a bit. The only downside was that we had to unload all of our luggage at each overnight stop (obviously). But in a way, it was really an upside, because it FORCED me to unload our luggage. In an SUV, I'd feel lazy and want to just leave luggage in the back-and it would be a target for thieves! I carried a fold away dolly, so I was able to unload all of our stuff in just 2 trips.

I had thought about buying a tonneau cover to keep things dry, but I realized I would be spending $$$ for 1 event. So I brainstormed, and found a much cheaper method-pack all of our luggage in rubbermaid totes to keep our stuff dry. It worked like a charm! I wanted to simply pack things directly in the totes, but my wife insisted on packing luggage.

The great thing about traveling with the Silverado is the fact that we can buy almost anything we want and take it back home on our trips. We travel to Chicago in a couple of weeks, and plan to do the same thing.

I've gotta say, I'm very impressed with the comfort of my 99!
    Last edited by rph74; 05-31-2010 at 06:11 AM.
    1999 Silverado Z71 Extended Cab New body style