GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Laptop Tuning Programs

So, i need a tax write off, and i was going to start a "business", in which i would program computers of vehicles locally. I'm not looking to get big, or to make money, i just would rather not give my money away to the government who will give it to some people who don't deserve it. I am looking for what the BEST tuning program for a Laptop computer is. I've looked at EFI Live, and HPTuners. Those are what i've found to be the most popular. Price is no matter, i would rather have to not wish i went better.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Ive heard alot about EFI Live. They are involved everywhere there is motors fueld by some sort of fuel injection system. There even getting involved in atv and dirtbike tunning(thats what i grew up in), which is a major step for them seeing as how five years ago you could count the number of fuel injected quads on your hand. Go with EFI Live.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

So, with EFI live i could tune ATV's that are fuel injected also? Of course i would need the adapting plug in to the computer on them. We got a BIG quadding base around here. Everyone has one. If not two. How does EFI Live's tuning work for different vehicles? Do i need to buy another "credit" so i can tune another vehicle? Or is it i buy the program once, and i tune as many as i want?
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat

Quote Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
    So, with EFI live i could tune ATV's that are fuel injected also? Of course i would need the adapting plug in to the computer on them. We got a BIG quadding base around here. Everyone has one. If not two. How does EFI Live's tuning work for different vehicles? Do i need to buy another "credit" so i can tune another vehicle? Or is it i buy the program once, and i tune as many as i want?
    I believe black bear uses the EFI Live. I've heard great things about it. So I would go with EFI live.

I looked at EFI Live, and for every additional VIN i would program it would cost $99, HPTuners was only $50 more. Plus EFI live is $300 more base price, is it worth that much extra? After looking at it, it most often costs 2 credits or more to tune a vehicle with HPTuners, so that doesn't concern me anymore. My only concern is that EFI Live is strictly GM, while HPTuners is GM Ford and Dodge. Which would be more options if someone wanted a tune.

My question for HPTuner is if you tune a vehicle, does that vehicle become VIN Licensed so that i don't need to use additional credits to change the tune? I know with EFI Live you license the vehicle, and then you can change it as many times as you want.
    Last edited by ippielb; 06-02-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
    Yes you could tune fuel injected atvs. If I remember correctley, Yoshimura uses EFI live software in their tuners.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Sr. Engineer

We not only use EFILive, we also teach courses on the software and sell the products. Definitely recommended.
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller

Well, this is going to be a tough decision, i like that HP Tuner offers GM Ford and Dodge, rather then being strictly GM. But i do like the backing EFI Live has behind it, there is alot more EFI live then Hp Tuner.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb

I used HPTuners for a bit. I not sure about EFI Live, but HPTuners allows you to use a low number of credits to tune an entire model year year for a specific amount of credits. I used 6 credits ($300) at one time to tune ALL 2004 GMC Canyons and Chevy Colorados. Ended up tuning 7 vehicles, so it worked out really well.

Wow, this is making it harder then it was before i asked! I guess i will need to do a lot more research before i drop the cash.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb