GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 5.3 motor tick

Default 5.3 motor tick

I have browsed and asked around on other truck forums why the 5.3 motors that i have in my truck make this ticking noise every once and a while. Its like being low on oil noise or others say a tap noise. I change oil every three thousand miles and use mobile one synthetic.

Is it true what others say that this is a normal sound on these motors. Lifter tap?

Does anyone else experience this?

I had a problem similar to that. My problem was my catalytic converter. You could have a loose lifter, which is common, but i would try seafoam just before your next oil change. It could be gunk.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
    I had a problem similar to that. My problem was my catalytic converter. You could have a loose lifter, which is common, but i would try seafoam just before your next oil change. It could be gunk.
    I have done seaform a few times and no luck. Its random nothing really major the truck runs great.

Thanks

Blog Entries

It is the way these engine were made. They are aluminum block and they expand after heated up to normal operating temp. That is when the ticking goes away I am guessing. If you don't like the noise at start-up try using a synthetic oil, sometimes it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by trapstud View Post
    It is the way these engine were made. They are aluminum block and they expand after heated up to normal operating temp. That is when the ticking goes away I am guessing. If you don't like the noise at start-up try using a synthetic oil, sometimes it will help.
    Thanks Trap. Yes i heard the same thing nothing for me to worry about. I already use Mobile 1 synthetic.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Your welcome.

Jr. Apprentice

Default Check out this thread

'99 Silverado 1500,Z71,ext cab,5.3L,50 series Flowmaster, 3" exhaust.