GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default upgrading a 1/2 ton

Hello, Soon I will have a new to me 88 Suburban 1/2 ton. I have a few trailers I will pull with it, but the largest is 34 feet and weighs 6900 pounds. This large trailer will be near the limit of what the suburban can handle so I want to beef it up some. The 700R4 in it has about 50k since it was rebuilt. I am thinking to add a large transmission cooler and temp gauge to make sure the temps are already less than 200. I think it has 3.73 gears, they may need to be upgraded to 4.10 I am guessing. What else should I consider? I want to keep the IFS so I am not sure how to beef up the axles or if they even need it. I will be towing short distances, on mostly flat land. no mountains or such until I get some confiendce with the rig.

Only thing i can think you will need is strong leafs, or air bags in the back. I would recommend air bags, because you can lower the pressure and get a nicer ride when your not hauling. 3.73 gears will be fine for towing, if you have the stock tires.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

ippielb gives good advice.
    It would be too expensive to regear, and whenever you change something there is a chance that whoever does it will screw it up, so you pay a bunch of $$ to turn a working truck into a broken truck.

One thought if you think you need a lower gear is you can probably find shorter tires.
    My 1998 has 235/75 15 I can probably find shorter 15" tires if it came to it.

I rarely tow, but Suburbans are great tow vehicles.They are also the best long USA road trip vehicle-big enough for 2 adults and 2 dogs to comfortably sleep in at rest stops.
    Luck
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by sunblock View Post
    Hello, Soon I will have a new to me 88 Suburban 1/2 ton. I have a few trailers I will pull with it, but the largest is 34 feet and weighs 6900 pounds. This large trailer will be near the limit of what the suburban can handle so I want to beef it up some. The 700R4 in it has about 50k since it was rebuilt. I am thinking to add a large transmission cooler and temp gauge to make sure the temps are already less than 200. I think it has 3.73 gears, they may need to be upgraded to 4.10 I am guessing. What else should I consider? I want to keep the IFS so I am not sure how to beef up the axles or if they even need it. I will be towing short distances, on mostly flat land. no mountains or such until I get some confiendce with the rig.
    An 88 Suburban shouldnt have IFS it should be a solid axle unless theres been some major suspension work done.

Ok thanks guys. Two dogs and two adults is exactly what I have haha. I am not really sure what it has in it, I am getting it tomorrow for cheap. I have been reading up on them and just thought they were IFS.It will have stock tires so maybe 3.73 will be fine. I am pretty handy and my father in law is a full time mechanic so I am confident I can get anything done that I want.

Cool upgrading a 1/2 ton

Is your truck 4x4 or 4x2?

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Is your truck 4x4 or 4x2?

It is a 4X4

Cool upgrading a 1/2 ton

Besides the larger trans cooler, I would install a deeper trans pan, run synethics fluids in the trans, f&r diffs, transfer case and engine.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Besides the larger trans cooler, I would install a deeper trans pan, run synethics fluids in the trans, f&r diffs, transfer case and engine.

Cool thx. got it today and it does have solid axles, and already has air shocks .. so woot for me.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Sunblock

If you travel longish distances-few hundred miles or more- you'll love the Suburban. It is like having a GIGANTIC minivan that can tow, and allows 2,3 even adults to sleep full length(avoid motel bills ), carry many ice chests, bicycles whatever .Plenty of places to put a pistol-we sleep at rest stops-so just in case.

Even the solid front axle ones(mine is a 1998 IFS 2wd 1/2 ton 213,000 miles) ride pretty soft on highways.

Cheap parts , reliable on the important stuff, and not too bad mpg considering just how much it can carry.

When you travel, nothing beats lots of interior volume and leg room.The dogs will love it.

Hey,I'm getting the feeling you're getting a great deal- HOW MUCH?? Nowadays prices are up a bit, so with a decent body and good drivetrain anywhere around $2500-$3500 is pretty decent price.Lotta vehicle for not much $$.The 4x4's are a lot more desirable in a lot of areas, so they get pretty good prices if they aren't rusted out.

Charlie

PS POST Pictures when you get it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by