GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Radiator drain plug

Having owned a few cars, is the 92-99 Burb have one of the most aggravating spots for a radiator drain plug? My 91 was a piece of cake if I remember correctly?

I can see the former owner must have bent the metal back a little, but even then I can't get my hand in at the right angle to turn the plug.

I'm thinking about taking a grinder and cutting an access hole. Or is there some other easier way to get to the pitcock valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraziken View Post
    Having owned a few cars, is the 92-99 Burb have one of the most aggravating spots for a radiator drain plug? My 91 was a piece of cake if I remember correctly?

I can see the former owner must have bent the metal back a little, but even then I can't get my hand in at the right angle to turn the plug.

I'm thinking about taking a grinder and cutting an access hole. Or is there some other easier way to get to the pitcock valve.
    I once got so aggravated I used a shop vac to get the old coolant out. From what I understand is it's not a petcock, it's a screw valve with a square hole. I think a quarter inch drive is supposed to fit in it.

I gave up trying to get to those things. The 95 TBI wasn't too bad, just had to pull the charcoal canister. But forget it on 96 and up.

I have a new, better way. I use a piece of narrow tubing/hose, slide it in the radiator down past the trans cooler. Pull a little suction, drain it into a bucket. It's neater, quicker, easier.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Sr. Apprentice

I had to remove to fan shroud & loosen the bottom shroud to get to the choke valve. Had to use a pair of pliers to get to turn, but be careful not to damage it. They are prone to leaking.

Should've read this thread before replacing my radiator. The drain valve on my 99 suburban is a joke to get to, and in fact the original valve was busted. Like the idea of suctioning it out. I ended up cutting the lower radiator hose since I was replacing anyways, but it was messy.
    Current Rides: |99 Chevy Suburban- the family truckster |93 Lincoln Town Car- 250K miles & still churning -now a fan of the Panther platform
    Former GM cars: |78 Suburban 454 |71 Buick Electra 225 (deuce & a quarter) |75 Monte Carlo- 400SB- heaviest doors GM every made |70 Impala coupe- my 1st car

I decided to replace my lower radiator hose, and drained it that way too. Aggravating.

The shop vac worked like a champ. I just got a long rubber hose that reached the bottom of the radiator, taped it to the "crevice attachment" and let her rip.
    No muss no fuss.

Getting to and using the drain plug is ridiculous (driver's side/inside of radiator). I went ahead and removed the lower radiator hose. It make a mess, but would have with the plug anyway. For both I had to remove fan shrouds.