GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Escalade 4x4?

Default Escalade 4x4?

I'm looking at a used Escalade ESV. I love the truck, but I was told that it was only offered with AWD, not 4x4. Is it possible to get a transfer case out of a Suburban and convert the truck to 4x4 for a couple grand?

Legend
    Blog Entries

You might have to get it from a 2500. Since i believe the ESV comes with basically a 2500 power train. though i could be wrong.. But as far as that goes you will need the wiring harness, and the switches as well.. And i am not to sure, and you may need to get a new front diff as well.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Would this be a relatively bolt on conversion? What do you guys estimate the cost of this to be? Thanks!

This is the reason I did not go with the GMC Yukon XL Denali or the Escalade ESV. I liked both but I wanted the part time 4wd for things like driving on the beach or on muddy roads. I ended up finding a nice Z71 Burban instead. Even the 10' LTZ Burban I looked at had the AWD.

2010 Suburban Z71 5.3 A6, Sheer Silver, Ebony Interior

2004 Lexus RX330 AWD - Netune Blue Metalic

I can't figure out why GM refused to offer 4x4 as an option on this car, unless it was done as a cost cutting measure. All of the other high end SUVs come with 4x4 and low range gearing. Even the Porsche.

I guess they feel people who can afford the high end are not capable of deciding whether or not they need 4wd... Just another example of GM not being totaly in touch with thier base customer. We would have gone with the Escalade if it had not been AWD. We had an AWD Acadia and I would not have taken it any where other than a paved road.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhopper View Post
    I guess they feel people who can afford the high end are not capable of deciding whether or not they need 4wd... Just another example of GM not being totaly in touch with thier base customer. We would have gone with the Escalade if it had not been AWD. We had an AWD Acadia and I would not have taken it any where other than a paved road.
    Well, there is a nice low mileage 4x4 Navigator for sale with low mileage, $5k more than the Escalade I'm looking at.. The Escalade seems to be the nicer truck, but what would this conversion really cost in the end?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I am pretty sure it will be min of $4K since there are a lot of parts to convert.

I'm sure it is an option that isn't thought of by most of the customers of the Escalade.

How about doing the reverse though? Take an Avalanche/Suburban, and just swap the interior dress bits or exterior if you want?

Wouldn't that be an easier swap?