GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I've got some relatively good news for you. On the way home from work I saw a 2003+ Yukon pulling a Laredo, bunk house with the single slide-out. I think it was the 29 footer, but I didn't exactly have a ruler while I was driving! Anyways, if a Yukon that's the equivalent to a Tahoe can pull the trailer, your Suburban should be able to pull it.
    Thanks for the reassurance
    On the cover of the Laredo pamphlet, is a picture of a 2010 Suburban LTZ 1500 pulling a Laredo just like mine! I'm not worried, as long as I'm within my limits, I'll leave the worrying to someone who drives a Ford!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    Just because it CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done. Especially for 2,500 miles.
    I did the exact same trip last year with my old trailer and it was loaded to the limit without any issues,
    I don't see why this years trip would be any different. I'm rated to haul 13000 lbs, I've got all the bells and whistles to keep everything running safely, from the torsion bars, equalizer hitch, brake controller, and my truck has been looked at from top to bottom to make sure everything is safe for the trip. I wouldn't put my family at risk under any circumstance. I believe that GM makes the best trucks, I've never been let down by my GM's and I don't plan on being let down now!!!

I realized after I posted he was talking about the smaller trailer.

Did you look at/consider the Hensley Arrow?
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

At one point I did consider the Hensley Arrow, it was just way too expensive. Between the long and low stance of my suburban and the regular type of torsion bars and anti sway, I didn't see the use for the extra expense.

Here's an update after my trip, I had no problems pulling on the entire trip, but I suffered through the month seeing as I had nothing but troubles with my new trailer, after 1 week of negotiating, I bit the bullet and bought the biggest Laredo they make, the 303tg, they took my 29bhs back and absorbed the $3k in depreciation, and gave me a deep discount on the 303tg, it comes in at a completely loaded weight of 9000#'s, which is 1200#'s more than my 29bhs, I couldn't pass up the opportunity, extra outdoor kitchen extra door to access the bathroom directly and the second slide out room. I should be picking it up this week.

2004 Chevrolet Suburban
    5.3L
    1/2 Ton
    Spectre Cold Air Intake
    Flowmaster Series 40 exhaust with custom 5" stainless rig exhaust pipe out rear side
    Freshly rebuilt 4L60E with new Borg Warner HD 1-2 clutches and Z-pac 3-4 clutches
    3.73 Posi rear end with limited slip diff ( G80 :great: )
    Kool Vue OEM style towing mirrors

Glad to hear you made it back with no troubles. I have a 26 foot Fleetwood that I will be towing with my 94 Suburban 1/2 Ton and this thread has been very useful.

Sean
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." --- Will Rogers

Definitely let us know how your 30 foot Laredo pulls. That's roughly the same weight as my Eagle, so it'll be handy to know how the half-ton pulls it. What kind of problems were you having with your trailer? I know there are tons of issues that can plauge a new trailer, and I have my share of them.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

My 2011 Laredo 29BHS was nothing but problems, day 1, my elec. stab. jacks stopped working, day 2 my 30 lbs sons bunk bed breaks, day 3 my 7 year old son goes to lie down on the dinette double bed, that breaks, day 4, I go to flush my black water tank, I have a water explosion in the bathroom because a valve busted, basically I had a new problem each day for the entire month that I was on vacation. When we got back, my wife ( negotiator supreme! ) called the head offices of Keystone RV and spoke to someone highly placed for over an hour long distance and demanded that we get an exchange, they wanted to do a straight exchange, but we saw the 303tg and decided instead of waiting for months for the 29BHS that we would trade up to the 303tg. At the beginning of the season they were asking nearly $9k more than our 29bhs, after all the wheeling and dealing my wife and I paid only $5k Taxes INCLUDED as a difference and Keystone RV and my dealer absorbed the $3k in depreciation value. Not bad IMHO! I should be gettting within a week.
    I'll keep you posted on how it pulls with the extra 1500 LBS. It shouldn't be a problem, any Suburban kicks ass!

I'm also considering my first trailer to pull behind a virtually identical 'burb. I'd be very interested to know how it pulled for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    I'm also considering my first trailer to pull behind a virtually identical 'burb. I'd be very interested to know how it pulled for you.
    It pulled perfectly! I pulled my Laredo 29BHS with a GCVW of 14,400 LBS from Montreal QC, to Myrtle Beach SC, 1200 miles going and another 1200 miles back without an issue. I was doing between 55-65 MPH the entire way, save for one long steep hill which kept me to 35-40MPH, I could have pushed it to get up faster or gone 70-75MPH on the straightaways, but why take the risk and waste all that fuel? What I love about Subs, is their long and low stance, it keeps the tail from wagging the dog, unless your weight is improperly balanced.

The only thing I forgot to mention is the fact that I'm riding on a set of Load Range E Goodyear Territory's.
    Last edited by bluestreak94; 08-30-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: forgot something