GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Spark Plug Recommendations

My 2004 Suburban has only 38,500 original miles, (mostly highway/non-towing, trip miles) however, after owning it for 6 years (since new), I'm beginning to replace items such as hoses, belts, coolant etc.
    Not that the parts are bad, I'm only concerned about eventual part failures due to age.

I'm thinking the spark plugs installed at the factory were 100,000 miles plugs, but I can't remember if they were platinum or iridium.....Anyone know?

Also, will the vehicle benefit by replacing the spark plugs with new, high quality AC or Bosch plugs?
    Should I replace the spark plug wires/cables as well?
    Any specific brand/type recommendations?

As always, Thank You for the excellent responses!
    Last edited by Psyc0; 06-06-2010 at 08:20 AM.
    "I Hate When That Happens!"

Legend

You shouldnt have to replace them unless they you have visual confirmation they are fouled (if so you might have other problems), and DO NOT use anything but what is already in them if you do replace them. Changing plugs to a different brand in these Vortec engine just isnt worth it. Just search on this sight and you will see most experiance power and MPG drops going to a "higher quality/performance" plug on a factory ignition
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    ...... Changing plugs to a different brand in these Vortec engine just isnt worth it.....
    What he said. Bosch plugs are a disaster in a Vortec, especially the +4 plugs.

AC Delco platinums. Gap them at .040" for a small block, .050" for the 496.

Truthfully, with your mileage, new plugs can go to the bottom of the list. It wouldn't hurt to pull them to check condition, and tighten the gap down if they are at .060". New wires wouldn't hurt though, age seems to be the bigger factor. And once you start moving older wires, like when changing plugs, they tend to start leaking pretty badly.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

This particular model comes with AC-Delco Iridium plugs, rated at 100,000 miles. Unless you get a bad valve seal or bad gas, you shouldn't have to worry about them until then.

Much obliged for the info.

Actual just about to do a 100k service on my 06 5.3 and replace the plugs and wires. I have always had good luck with NGK plugs in my race bikes and in my Nova it was nothing but Champion... Do NGK or Champion plugs work good or should I just go get Delcos?
    -Jimmy

-06' Silverado 1500 Z-71 (5.3l, 4L65e, NP261 transfer, B&M +3 tranny pan, Moser T6 diff cover, Bank CAI, Banks Monster Exhaust, leveling kit, LineX bed, Pioneer Premier DEH-P780MP, Firestone RideRite airbags, KMC Enduro 16x8 rims, Yokohama Geolander A/T 285/75R16, Taylor 10.4mm wires)

Quote Originally Posted by novaman64 View Post
    Actual just about to do a 100k service on my 06 5.3 and replace the plugs and wires. I have always had good luck with NGK plugs in my race bikes and in my Nova it was nothing but Champion... Do NGK or Champion plugs work good or should I just go get Delcos?
    x3 on Going with and Staying with.....A/C Delco Iridium Spark Plugs.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Jr. Apprentice

I put NGK in my vortec after a fresh rebuild, I never thought it ran to it's full potential, and my mileage was complete crap. I never thought that it could be plug related but that seems to be a likely cause.

NGK run great in small motors....
    96 Tahoe
    Flat tops
    LT4 cam
    2200 Stall
    Built trans
    3" exhuast
    Hypertech programmer
    255/70/17 BFG mud terrains

And after all that it is still SLOW!!!!

Well, thanks for the heads up. With the AC Delco's you guys recommend the Iridium or the Platinum? I am hearing conflict on which way to go...

Well, thanks for the heads up. With the AC Delco's you guys recommend the Iridium or the Platinum? I am hearing conflict on which way to go...
    The A/C Delco Iridium Plugs are the way go....It's what I went with ......The gap on them is 0.40.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by