GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: HID Problems...

Default HID Problems...

I installed an 8000K HID kit on my 99 GMC Sierra but it won't turn on. All the wires are connnected properly and securely. When I try to turn them on nothing happens... The balasts don't even heat up or hum... the stock lights still work with the wiring so it's not the fuses.. and I tried replacing them anyways. Any tips?
    99 GMC Sierra 2500
    Chipped 5.3L with Airaid Intake/Throttle Body Spacer
    Dual Cat-Back Flowmasters
    18'' MKW M28's on 32" Fuzion XTI tires
    8000K HID Kit, Cleared corners all around
    2 10" alpine subs with alpine amp

Blog Entries

You don't have both stock light AND HID's on at the same time Right? I know when I hooked my HID wiring harness up, it basically took the place of the stock system. Again, just me asking stupid questions to make sure we are on the same page. Could be a bad relay?
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I used the wire going into the balast and hooked that up to my stock headlight just to make sure the line still had power. So now I know the problem is somewhere from the balast to the bulb.. Is it possible it's not getting enough power to run the balast? Cause normally they hum when they're on..

Where did you get them from. I had a bad ballast brand new out of the box from vvme
    2008 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4wd LT1 Package with 20" wheel upgrade,K&N CAI, Magnaflow Catback Dual Side Exit, Tuff Country 2" Leveling Kit, Blackbear Tune, 6k HIDS Low and High Beams, 3K HID fog lights, LED tailight bar

I bought them off of ebay from a company who sold xenonspecs kits. the only problem is that the ebay company took their company off of ebay.. which sucks big time for me. I can't find their company outside of ebay.. so I don't know...

Blog Entries

A new relay would only cost a few bucks at any Radio Shack so give that a try.

I went to a local audio/performance store and they told me it's because the polarity of the wires isn't right for my truck... so I switched the wire adapter and it works great! They look amazing! and now everytime I tailgate people they move out of the way! hehe

Quote Originally Posted by benhartholt View Post
    I bought them off of ebay from a company who sold xenonspecs kits. the only problem is that the ebay company took their company off of ebay.. which sucks big time for me. I can't find their company outside of ebay.. so I don't know...
    Sorta answered your own question on that one. Sounds like you bought crap from another crap company. Probe the wires to make sure power is coming out of the balasts.
    08 Z71 Victory Red Crew Cab
    Ground Force 2" drop in rear, 22" wheels, Toyo ST Rubber, K&N Intake, Magnaflow Duals, Bully Dog Prog., Weathertech Floormats, Grillcraft Grill, Undercover Sing Case, Viair Compressor, Wolo Horns, Hellwig F&R Sway Bars, Plasmaglow LED's, PEAK backup camera, Husky Mudflaps....lots more in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Never Enough View Post
    Sorta answered your own question on that one. Sounds like you bought crap from another crap company. Probe the wires to make sure power is coming out of the balasts.
    actually they werent crap at all... their was just a wire confusion. and they definitely dont look like crap. they look sick

Glad you figured it out! I was going to recommend that. The store I bought mine from said they would be plug and play (didnt need the included relays) but the plugs were universal and had one-way adapters in them that I couldn't remove, resulting in reversed polarity. When I used the relay kit, i had no problems at all with the right polarity. Congratulations on a great upgrade!

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by