GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Add backup camera?

I have a 2010 Silverado without navigation. My wife's Traverse has a backup camera built into the rear-view mirror. Is it possible to add a mirror and tailgate-latch camera to my silverado, and how hard is it?

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

Yes it's possible, and it's fairly easy... The toughest part will be the wiring... And if you go to the dealer**** and buy the parts, the wiring should all be plug and play...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

I have a 2009 Silverado LTZ with factory navigation, will the above kit use the navigation screen or will it use a replacement mirror? When I go to the above website, it asks if I have factory navigation, but it doesn't indicate the difference. Thanks.

It will come up on the factory Nav Screen You can use a after market camera and use an interface to your stock system and view it on your nav screen That what I did

Adding a rear view camera is very easy, you may choose a CCD camera or CMOS camera as your requirement, also the rear view camara is generally installed on the frame of the plate number, or you can also buy a rear view system product, which contains a rear view camera, a rear view mirror (monitor) and a parking sensor to make your car rear view system completely assist you when reversing or parking.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonBoulder47 View Post
    Yes it's possible, and it's fairly easy... The toughest part will be the wiring... And if you go to the dealer**** and buy the parts, the wiring should all be plug and play...
    Actually no offense but wiring should be the easiest part. the hardest part is wiring it back to the license plate. There's only gonna be about 4 wires normally, accessories wire, constant, ground and reverse wire. If you get it from your dealer normally you just plug it in. The only problem is is if you do have to wire it in your gonna have a hard time finding an accessories wire on the nbs pickups. They have a data wire instead at the deck which obviously you can't use. They do have accessories in the ignition wires but their low current so you have to use a relay. If you can find one at the dealer it will be very expensive and when that stock radio goes out you'll be s.o.l.

Autozone has a rear back up camera system for about $80.. .it's not the full mirror set up but its a little module you can put on your dash... i have been considering getting it I just haven't gotten around to it
    Last edited by Darknesss23; 10-22-2010 at 09:44 AM.

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L EC/Std Bed 4x4 Flexfuel
    Full Metal Jacket Spray on Bed Liner
    Black Powder coat Diamond Plate Weatherguard Tool Box
    Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust System
    K&N Flat Panel OEM replacement Air Filter
    Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires P275/55/R20
    Black Reflective pinstripe and VORTEC hood lettering
    Billet front bowtie
    Rear Bowtie Delete
    Blue strobe grille lights
    Blue strobe rear window lights
    Blue LED Mini Light bar in front Grille

I wouldnt go wireless if I were you either. Alot of times they have a real bad resolution, goes in and out and is very fuzzy. Even expensive ones are never a sure shot. Dont get a cheap one either, their not worth it. Believe me when it comes to car audio/video you get what you pay for.

you could always upgrade your factory reciever with a DVD/Navigation unit and purchase a backup camera which would show up on the reciever screen. Thats my setup, will run you no more then $1,500 .. just another avenue in obtaining a backup camera, though not the most cost friendly.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by