GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Summit Headers

Master Mechanic

Post Summit Headers

Just bought a pair of black Summit shorty headers. They were on sale for $179. Anyone want to give their two cents on the situation. Going to paint them with Rustolium 's engine enamel so they don't rust.

I think the engine enamel is rated for 500 degrees? I don't think it will last.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Master Mechanic

My bad, yeah just saw it.Ill hit up my local speed shop for some header paint. Either black or silver.

If they have a black primer coat, read the instructions on it, if it's not a high temperature paint, you will need to get EVERY SPECK of paint off of it, i recommend sand blasting, because it will take off everything, i did a write up on how to paint headers, check the How To section.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Master Mechanic

The paint was not high temp so I'm painting them silver with Eastwood high temp paint. I often heard Summit racing products are just name brand with that they got cheaper and that goes for these headers. They were Pacesetter headers just called Summit racing headers on their website. Got to say I was impressed when I got ground shipping and they came the next day. Going to paint them tomorrow and will write up how they are, look, and if I had any problems.

Jr. Mechanic

Go to a John Deere dealer and buy some of their flat black muffler paint I have done many sets of headers and exhaust parts from snowmobiles to muscle cars and that stuff works GREAT.

07 NBS Crew cab SLT 4x4

Master Mechanic

Never would've thought of that. The Eastwood paint is already on it's way here but if I ever need any paint again, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advise though.

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    Never would've thought of that. The Eastwood paint is already on it's way here but if I ever need any paint again, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advise though.
    Your welcome!

I was actually thinking about buying these, what do you have for a pipe to go with them? Let me know how they turn out.

Master Mechanic

Getting them installed today. I'll post on if there is any improvement at all. (yes I could've done it myself but old ones are very rusty and would rather not snap a bolt.)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by