GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Power Steering wine

Anyone else with a 2007 Suburban have a whine noise coming from the power steering or know anything about it?
    Last edited by Steve; 03-29-2007 at 07:36 AM.

Did you check the fluid level?

Check to see if the fluid level is up where it belongs, not low or high.

Take a long screwdriver or extension and place one end on the pump case and the other behind your ear. It will act as a stethoscope.

If the sound is no louder then go on to the idler pulley, and so on.

Just be careful.
    Last edited by Steve; 03-29-2007 at 07:36 AM.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

I had a chevy malibu with a whining power steering pump. I let it whine for months until it quit working, because it sounded like a gear drive! Odd how something that doesn't bother you at 18 will drive you crazy at 50!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails geardrv.jpg  
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    I had a chevy malibu with a whining power steering pump. I let it whine for months until it quit working, because it sounded like a gear drive! Odd how something that doesn't bother you at 18 will drive you crazy at 50!
    How true, turned 52 this month and stupid crap like on my Daughters golf cart. This is something that would never have bothered me before.

But know seems to bug the living daylights out of me.

She has an older club car with a gas engine in it and I have never seen fuel in the fuel filter, it runs great. But lately it just seems to annoy me.

Funny how little things can bug you as you get older.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Default Same whine

Yes, mine is doing that also. Have you ask the dealership? I was wondering about that!

Quote Originally Posted by 84fiero123 View Post
    Did you check the fluid level?

Check to see if the fluid level is up where it belongs, not low or high.

Take a long screwdriver or extension and place one end on the pump case and the other behind your ear. It will act as a stethoscope.

If the sound is no louder then go on to the idler pulley, and so on.

Just be careful.
    Yeah, thinking about that makes me nervous.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Default Power Steering Woes

From: http://www.caranddriver.com/longroad...er-ext-lt.html

Then, as the TrailBlazer's first summer waned, complaints were registered in the logbook about a whining noise from the engine room. Sure enough, at 22,000 miles the power-steering pump abruptly retired, prompting our second unscheduled stop for a warranty-covered repair. Our third $50 pit stop occurred at 24,300 miles, and then just 5500 miles later reports started coming in of an alarming loss of power-steering assist at low engine speeds, so we pulled in for our 30,000-mile service stop before the oil-life monitor told us to. The axle checks, the tire rotation, and a new fuel filter cost $111, and the dealer gave our nearly new power-steering pump a vacuum bleed. We'd also complained of a spongy brake pedal, so the dealer charged us $53 to disassemble the brakes and tell us they were fine.

We boomeranged right back to the dealer just 41 miles later for our third unscheduled repair stop. The power steering was out again, and the brakes still felt unacceptably soft. This time we got another brand-new power-steering pump and had the brakes bled, all at no charge. Considering that the same dealer performed every service and repair on this vehicle, it seems logical that someone might try to find a blockage in the steering rack, or a faulty mounting bracket, or some root cause to explain (and sate) our TrailBlazer's appetite for steering pumps, but no such problems were identified, and as we went to press at the end of the test, a couple months past our final scheduled pit stop ($48), this third pump was whining again. We could also hear some clunks from the front suspension and a few rattles in the cabin.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Exclamation Whine Whine Whine

Newdev , Saginaws are notorious for whine especially when they have been run low and gotten hot. Sometimes a little Powersteering conditioner and a jack is all you need to fix the trouble : put a bottle of P/S Cond. in the unit ( you may want to drain the old stuff first to make room) then jack the front end off the ground and start the truck (make sure your E-Brake is on) they turn the steering wheel all the way stop to stop. This lets the conditioner push out all the air bubbles that are causing the noise. It usually only takes cranking the wheel all the way back and forth two or three times and the sound is gone; until you run it low on fluid again and get air bubbles back in the sysytem !
    Hope that helps !!!
    With God all things are possible !

Default Thank you

Thank you for all your helpfull suggestions! Not much of a do it yourselfer when it comes to mech........I could take it in and let the professionals fix it, that is why I paid the big bucks right. Meanwhile I will do what I do best, "sit in the waiting area people watching and drinking free coffee!" Or, take my free rental and go shopping for new wheels for my burb!

Default Actually

Quote Originally Posted by terry0341 View Post
    Yes, mine is doing that also. Have you ask the dealership? I was wondering about that!
    Actually I have mentioned it to the dealer and they have a recall note per say saying for the dealer to install synthetic power steering fluid but it did not work on mine and now they came back and said it is within their tolerances but all the rentals which I had recently none whinned... so the beat goes on ...will call and compain to GM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast