GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

35k miles on each oil change? thats insane I never go over 5k, I dont mind spending the money to buy oil rather than replacing parts or damaging my engine
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

Quote Originally Posted by ThatSilverStepside View Post
    35k miles on each oil change? thats insane I never go over 5k, I dont mind spending the money to buy oil rather than replacing parts or damaging my engine
    3 vehicles all running Amsoil Synthitic using the 35K or 1 year schedule with mileage ranging between 53,000 and 104,000 miles and no engine problems. Some people are going even longer by submitting an oil sample to the lab to ensure that the oil is still ok to use.

2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext. Cab
    4.8l
    Edge Evolution Programmer
    GM Performance Cold Air Intake
    GM Performance Exhaust
    Bighorn Mud Tires
    Bed Rug Bed Liner
    Halo Spark Plugs

Run Mobil1 extended performance. Run for 1year or 15,000 miles which ever comes first. Change filter every 5,000 miles. Use Wix or NAPA Gold ( made by wix).

I wait until my oil life monitoring light tells me to change my oil and it averages 5 to 7,000 miles.

TUBRO2 , thanks for your thoughts and input. Both my car and truck have Amsoil Signature Series 0w-30 motor oil. I know the oil is good for about 10'000 to 15'000 miles , I was wondering the stock oil filters (chevy truck,nissan car) and how long i can go with them. I plan on using Amsoil EA oil filters or NAPA gold filters next time. THANKS , PaUltraBob

I think these days with engine design and quality oils you can go 5000+ miles easy. I have an oil monitor system which indicates the "oil life" based on driving conditions. How a person drives, whether it is city driving or highway, a combination, hot or cold temps, hill climbs, high elevation etc. It could be 7000 or more or 3000 or less. Depends on how you drive and how hard you are on the engine/oil with you driving conditions. The 2010 manuals says to change the oil when the oil monitor system says so or at least once a year. I have a new 2010 and I am around 3500 miles. The oil monitor system says I have 71% oil life at the moment. That 71% can drop quickly and I will watch it. I don't want to waste $$$ needlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado Junkie View Post
    I live by the "3 months or 3,000 miles" rule.
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 07-23-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Sr. Apprentice

I depend on the change oil lamp. No brainer. Don't think I would go more than 5K on a oil no matter what oil. It is the contaminates in the oil that do damage. I guess you could take care of some the contaminates by changing just the Oil filter but if you are going to change the filter then why not pull the plug and drain the oil. Not that costly to change the oil unless you are using the synthetics. I put Penzoil in my truck and have had good luck with it.
    Dan Westphal
    2001 Silverado Ext Cab 2wd
    Patriot Guard Rider of North Texas

Legend
    Blog Entries

In my 2006 I ran Royal Purple 5W30 and ran 10-12K miles with a Wix deep filter. Sometimes as many as 15K miles.. never had a motor problem and no famous 5.3L lifter tick.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    I think these days with engine design and quality oils you can go 5000+ miles easy. I have an oil monitor system which indicates the "oil life" based on driving conditions. How a person drives, whether it is city driving or highway, a combination, hot or cold temps, hill climbs, high elevation etc. It could be 7000 or more or 3000 or less. Depends on how you drive and how hard you are on the engine/oil with you driving conditions. The 2010 manuals says to change the oil when the oil monitor system says so or at least once a year. I have a new 2010 and I am around 3500 miles. The oil monitor system says I have 71% oil life at the moment. That 71% can drop quickly and I will watch it. I don't want to waste $$$ needlessly.
    On a new vehicle, perhaps the "break in oil" should be drained and replaced sooner than all of the subsequent oil changes.

Bert
    "Race Car Spelled Backwards is Racecar"

03 Silverado 2WD extended cab 5.3 with towing package white/silver
    70GS455

Hi everyone. I am no expert but I do know that in order to make the right call "feelings" and speculation of what will and not work are pointless. If you say I do 3000 mile intervals and will never change then that is great but that does not make you correct.

Oil, filter, and interval calculation does not have to be magic. Oil Analysis is your friend.
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

These guys will take your sample and tell you exactly how well your oil holds up. I know for a fact that when I run Castrol European formula 0W30 that its function and protective additives function and last up to 10,000 miles. Most professional drivers use such services so they can find that balance between cost and safety. I use it because I hate doing something based on a lot of hand waving and conjecture.

Filter choice has to be well made and changing filter only at 5K is not a bad idea.

What I do know is that even cheap Dino oil will perform up to 5K. Any good syn oil (certainly an A3 rated oil) will easily go 10K.

Your milage may vary.
    1995 Saturn Sw1 196K and counting
    2001 Suburban LS 150K and counting
    2004 MR2 Spyder 62K and counting
    2007 mini cooper S 60K and counting

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast