GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by T-bone View Post
    Hi everyone. I am no expert but I do know that in order to make the right call "feelings" and speculation of what will and not work are pointless. If you say I do 3000 mile intervals and will never change then that is great but that does not make you correct.

Oil, filter, and interval calculation does not have to be magic. Oil Analysis is your friend.
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

These guys will take your sample and tell you exactly how well your oil holds up. I know for a fact that when I run Castrol European formula 0W30 that its function and protective additives function and last up to 10,000 miles. Most professional drivers use such services so they can find that balance between cost and safety. I use it because I hate doing something based on a lot of hand waving and conjecture.

Filter choice has to be well made and changing filter only at 5K is not a bad idea.

What I do know is that even cheap Dino oil will perform up to 5K. Any good syn oil (certainly an A3 rated oil) will easily go 10K.

Your milage may vary.

So I just bought an AC oil filter and 6 qts of oil for less than $25.00. Why would I spend that same $25.00 to have my oil analyized, which would mean I still have 3,000 mile oil and $25.00 less than I had before? You can spend your $25.00 anyway you want to, I'll spend mine on new oil.

In addition, the professional drivers I know will not run the same oil after one day at the races. They say that an engine that can exceed the value of $10,000 is easily worth the price of an oil change each time it's entered into a competion.
    Last edited by RVJ; 08-07-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: I'm a poor speller.
    2013 Sierra Crew Cab.
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by RVJ View Post
    In addition, the professional drivers I know will not run the same oil after one day at the races. They say that an engine that can exceed the value of $10,000 is easily worth the price of an oil change each time it's entered into a competion.
    First the professional drivers I am talking about are not racing. They are hauling stuff for a living. you know Like trucks?

Second like a trip to your Dr. oil analysis gives you a fairly accurate snap shot on how your engine is wearing if you have trouble such as small amounts of coolant too much Si .......

no different then taking your blood pressure which if you do not do saves you some money until that heart attack of course.
    1995 Saturn Sw1 196K and counting
    2001 Suburban LS 150K and counting
    2004 MR2 Spyder 62K and counting
    2007 mini cooper S 60K and counting

Jr. Mechanic

First the professional drivers I am talking about are not racing. They are hauling stuff for a living. you know Like trucks?

Second like a trip to your Dr. oil analysis gives you a fairly accurate snap shot on how your engine is wearing if you have trouble such as small amounts of coolant too much Si .......

no different then taking your blood pressure which if you do not do saves you some money until that heart attack of course.
    There's a little difference here, A blood pressure check is free at any Walgreens, an oil lab test is not.

What I'm getting at here is, Why spend $25.00 to see if the oil needs changed and still have used oil and a used filter, when you can have it changed for the same $25.00 and have a new filter and new oil? I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just trying to understand the logic here. What if the results come back and then you have to change the oil, you then have $50.00 into the oil change.
    It just seems to me that the same amount of money will get the thing serviced and one way won't.
    2013 Sierra Crew Cab.
    Bob.

There's a little difference here, A blood pressure check is free at any Walgreens, an oil lab test is not.

What I'm getting at here is, Why spend $25.00 to see if the oil needs changed and still have used oil and a used filter, when you can have it changed for the same $25.00 and have a new filter and new oil? I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just trying to understand the logic here. What if the results come back and then you have to change the oil, you then have $50.00 into the oil change.
    It just seems to me that the same amount of money will get the thing serviced and one way won't.
    I understand what you are saying as well. For me I like to know how long I can go safely as I change it myself and that takes time and it sucks in winter.

Also I do not test a lot. maybe once a year and always at the end of an interval. Last test I found high Si. turned out one of the clips on my airbox was not closed letting in bad air. Would have not found that for another 30K. I do fully understand all i get is a data sheet with numbers but in the long run I know how long I can wait between changes and monitor how the engine is running.

:D

Jr. Mechanic

I understand what you are saying as well. For me I like to know how long I can go safely as I change it myself and that takes time and it sucks in winter.

Also I do not test a lot. maybe once a year and always at the end of an interval. Last test I found high Si. turned out one of the clips on my airbox was not closed letting in bad air. Would have not found that for another 30K. I do fully understand all i get is a data sheet with numbers but in the long run I know how long I can wait between changes and monitor how the engine is running.

:D
    What is High Si?
    2013 Sierra Crew Cab.
    Bob.

What is High Si?
    sorry Si=silicon dork usage of periodic table

all i know is im not trusting that engine oil life monitor anymore. i have an 09 crew with 17k on it and only had the light come on twice. so after 2 oil changes i had to take it to the dealer and have the whole lower half of the engine resealed cause all the gaskets started leaking oil. granted this may not be due to not having the oil changed more but i am not taking any chances im going back to the old 3 month 3000 mile rule!
    2009 silverado crewcab ls - VA

I have a buddy that has a landscaping business. He leases a Ford F-150 that he drives around for 3-4 years 150,000K + miles. He is a cheap bastard. He never changes the oil, EVER. Just every now and then checks the oil and adds oil. He has never had an engine problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    I have a buddy that has a landscaping business. He leases a Ford F-150 that he drives around for 3-4 years 150,000K + miles. He is a cheap bastard. He never changes the oil, EVER. Just every now and then checks the oil and adds oil. He has never had an engine problem.
    what scare me here is that with most leases there is a 12k/year limit without getting a huge $$$$ penalty. That is not cheap.

I lean towards the conservative and try to change around 3 mo's or 3k miles. At the same time, the easiest way to know if the oil needs to be changed is to check the dipstick. If it's dark, it's ready to be changed.

Does Slick 50 still exist? I used that in the past to coat the cylinders. I use Mobil 1 synthetic, but would like to put something in to help maintain the motor.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast