GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    I pull the air snorkel off and dump it right down the throttle body.
    2COR517, when you pour the Seafoam down the throttle body how much do you put in? Do you keep the engine revved up some so it won't die? Do you have to change plugs soon after? All these years I've never heard of Seafoam, seems like it's overtaking the WORLD now!

Master Mechanic

STP came out with a very similar product (STP Multipurpose Motor Treatment). This product is advertised to do the same thing, but does not have alcohol in it. I saw it is usually a couple of bucks cheaper, so I bought two cans. Ill have to post if it works the same.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

I just seafoamed my 2001 Suburban LT with 160k. Before the seafoam, my truck was running a little rough and was pinging on acceleration around 1800-2000 rpm. I use the power brake vacuum to suck down 1/2 a can of seafoam until the engine stalled. The truck sat for twenty minutes ( btw, the truck was at normal operating temp). Once i started the truck tons of smoke poured from the exhaust. I got on the highway and gunned the engine and lots of white and black smoke pour out the back. When i got home the engine would idle super quiet. As I drove the truck it seem to get better. I keep records on fuel/ mileage. I went from 12 mpg the 14.9 mpg in two tanks. Seafoam seems to have worked for me.

I'm scared of Seafoam after seeing cars hydro-lock or in those cases where the carbon and sludge got lose and created oil leaks! I used some on my typical lawn-mower from walmart and it roared back to life with more power than ever after smoking like a mofo!

I'm really tempted to use this treatment...
    My trucks name is Oliver; and he Loves you all!
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD v8 6.0

The hydrolock happens when people suck to much in at a fast rate.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I would like to see a set of solid instructions for seafoaming through the intake... specifically on a 2000 5.3L engine. I went to their web site and it was really confusing....

You can seafoam through your intake manifold if you have this, this and that, but not this...... blah, blah, blah....... I don't want to damage my intake manifold.

I did it in my 02 5.3L thru the brake booster vacuum line. I just let it slowly suck it in. Then I shut the truck off and let it sit for an hour. It did diesel a little bit when I shut it off. I have seen posts that say slowly suck it in and then at the end let it suck in fast to kill the motor. I was also nervous about doing this. They way I did it seemed to work well. I was not worried about damaging the manifold as much as I was worried about hydro locking the motor. I doubt that 1/2 a can would be enough to hydro lock it though.
    '

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I did it in my 02 5.3L thru the brake booster vacuum line. I just let it slowly suck it in. Then I shut the truck off and let it sit for an hour. It did diesel a little bit when I shut it off. I have seen posts that say slowly suck it in and then at the end let it suck in fast to kill the motor. I was also nervous about doing this. They way I did it seemed to work well. I was not worried about damaging the manifold as much as I was worried about hydro locking the motor. I doubt that 1/2 a can would be enough to hydro lock it though.
    '
    Right, I typically pour it in the booster cable also, or in the tank. I am interested in the intake manifold application of it.

I mean, if I put it in the booster cable, is it cleaning junk out of the intake manifold also before it hits the engine block?

B12 Chemtool is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAy better everyone
    its cheaper
    and it comes in arosol
    i was seafoam for 10 years.... what a huge waste of money =(
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Sr. Mechanic

What do people don't have to brake booster? Mine uses the power steering so I can't run this through the vacuum lines.
    2004 GMC Sierra SLT 6.0L 4x4
    UWS Low Profile toolbox 10% tint front and over stock back tint
    AirAid MIT and K&N airfilter
    BlackBear Performance

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast