GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Swapping to Electric Fan?

Alrighty, Swapping from Engine Driven cooling fan to electric fan... I've seen this done on old nissan hardbodys and "heard" that it increases the HP and MPG, as well as reduce under hood noise and allow the engine to rev faster. On to the question...

Has anyone here switched from the engine driven cooling fan on the 5.3L Silverado to an Electric cooling fan? If so, did it yield worthwhile results? I'm sure the wiring would be quite a pain, but I've heard on the nissans that it increased MPGs up to 3 in the city. All this here-say is taken as myths/lies until proven truth. Thanks for your input.

Eric
    "If orange juice had armpits, maybe."
    -the wife in reference to the smell of JOOSE

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Yes they do add power because there is less drag on the engine but i dont know how much it will add. My dad has a '99 silverado and my buddy has an '06. They both have 5.3l in them but my buddys '06 has an electric fan and they seem about even in performance. So if there is an increase in performance, it cant be huge.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

I believe in 05 they started adding E-Fans. I heard a few people say that their truck runs a little cooler and that its a lot quieter when the fans kick on
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

The trick you have to think about is you can't generate the power required to power an electric fan for free. As a result of you adding a significant load to the alternator, it will pull harder and pull more hp/torque off the motor. Now, the drag induced by a motor-driven fan is probably more than the drag induced by the alternator when it needs to make more power for the 12v system.

For the record, I do plan on putting an electric fan on the suburban, though I'm mainly doing it for the increased air conditioning ability when at idle. I idle a good bit...and it's HOT down here. I've heard fans off a Ford Taurus are the strongest fans on the market, moreso than any aftermarket fan.

Jr. Apprentice

I have a 2005 Z71 Suburban with electric cooling fans. Wasn't sure if it is a factory item or aftermarket. Anyway between that, aftermarket exhaust, intake, and perhaps more (just bought the vehicle and it came with no records) it really has a punch when you hit the gas, not sure how much the fans help with the power, but it can't hurt I figured.

Thanks everyone, if I get the funds in order, I may do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    The trick you have to think about is you can't generate the power required to power an electric fan for free. As a result of you adding a significant load to the alternator, it will pull harder and pull more hp/torque off the motor. Now, the drag induced by a motor-driven fan is probably more than the drag induced by the alternator when it needs to make more power for the 12v system.

For the record, I do plan on putting an electric fan on the suburban, though I'm mainly doing it for the increased air conditioning ability when at idle. I idle a good bit...and it's HOT down here. I've heard fans off a Ford Taurus are the strongest fans on the market, moreso than any aftermarket fan.
    Excellent post. E-fans offer a performance advantage is short use applications such as drag racing, or even around town to some degree. But you still need to provide the energy to turn the fan, and that's coming from the fuel tank.

Sounds like the E-fans are a good mod for you though, to keep airflow up for the AC condenser.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.