GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Just bought 99 GMC Suburban

I want to buy after market lights for the front head lights and tail lights. I found several on ebay but do not know what brands are good.Please tell me what brands are good?Would you recommend a K&N air intake?

Cant advise on the lights but for the air intake I'd recomend a K&N filter replacement instead of a full intake kit. Even better would be a Dry Flow filter replacement. The problem with K&N filters is they tend to get over oiled and cause problems with the MAS, this isnt really a product problem but a consumer problem but K&N gets the bad rap for it.
    A trick used on Toyota Tacomas is to open the factory airbox by mounting a boat deckplate in the side of box. This allows you to remove the plate giving you a larger air intake allowing a larger volume of incoming air. During inclement weather or off roading you can close the box off to prevent water getting in. These deckplates have dyno'd better than air intake kits.

Tim,
    Thanks for the reply. I just bought a K & N air intake kit. You say it is better to just have the K & N filter?

Why is a dry flow filter better then K & N?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cdmax View Post
    Cold air intake helps the engine run better, if the air cleaner is open inside the engine compartment it will be sucking hot air as soon as the engine warms up.

I believe it is because cold air is denser than hot.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Yep; as already stated cold air is denser than hot air, has a better flow, and creates less turbulence in the intake tube for a smoother air supply.
    A filter replacement is better than the air intake kit because the factory airbox draws air from outside the engine compartment and delivers cooler air to the engine.
    Dry flow is considered better because it uses no oil on the filter (K&N uses oil impregnated gauze). Oil from oil impregnated filters has been known to cause early failure of intake sensors.
    The biggest problem with K&N filters is over oiling at service time, most people refuse to read and correctly interpet the instructions, so if I'm recommending filters to someone I suspect may not be mechanically savy I usually recommended a Dry Flow which uses no oil.
    Remember tho K&N is a great filter when properly serviced. I use K&N on all my vehicles, and have for over 25 years.

I already bought the K & N. Please explain the best way to service and clean it.

Spray with K&N filter cleaner, let set for 20 minutes.
    Rinse with fresh water until all cleaner is rinsed out.
    Allow to dry/drain for an hour or two.
    Spray lightly with K&N filter oil. Ensure all pleats of the filter are coated.
    Let set over night (about 8 hours) to allow excess oil to drain off.
    Wipe filter with clean rag (both sides and mating surfaces) to clean any excess oil droplets off.
    Install filter.

I do this every other oil change (Texas is very dusty). Depending on area you may not need to do this but once a year.
    I also clean the MAS and air intake tube with CRC electrical contact cleaner about three days after every filter cleaning.

I want to buy after market lights for the front head lights and tail lights. I found several on ebay but do not know what brands are good.Please tell me what brands are good?Would you recommend a K&N air intake?

I have a k&n filter on my truck it halps out on the power and proformance of my 5.3 and as light go I have bought different brands for my many trucks and the ones on ebay are all about the same I would just say to find some you like the look of and going with it
    Corey M (CoDaChrome™)
    the vehicles I have/had
    1989 GMC 2500 4wd (Sold)
    1989 Palomino hard-side popup
    1990 GMC 2500 pickup 2wd
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Beater) (sold)
    1997 GMC jimmy sle 4wd (Sold)
    1999 Silverado Z71 offroad
    2000 Sunline 30' travel trailer
    2003 Silverado Z71 offroad
    2006 Yamaha wolverine 450 4wd