GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Unhappy 12v ignition wire for 2009 silverado?

Can someone help me find a 12v ignition wire? I installing a alpine overhead dvd player and this is the only hold up or I have to spend another $200 on an adapter.

This information would be in a GM Factory Service Manual set for your year/model vehicle which you can order from helminc.com or a GM dealer. These contain the complete vehicle wiring diagrams.

And very few if any people on the internet would have wiring diagrams for newer vehicles. Pretty much those who buy new vehicles have them serviced at the dealer.

And VERY important to understand exactly what circuit you are connecting to with newer vehicles. There can be 24 to 80 different computer modules and 3 different computer local area networks. If you mess up the wrong thing, your vehicle will not start. Not to mention safety systems like air bags and so forth. There are also "drive by wire systems" on the way. Eventually this could include the accelerator, brakes, and steering.

I wouldn't want to turn on my add-on radio and suddenly have the accelerator floored! Or get a good beat on the speakers and have the steering turn left/right to the beat!

And there should be a warning about this in your owners manual. It should say something along the lines to check with your dealer's service department before tapping into ANY wires!
    92 GMC Sierra 2500

Hey brotha the wire color is pink, drop the hood release lever and lower knee board and then the metal plate covering the ignition loom it is a pink wire right there near the sterring shaft and alot of other wires, all are covered by tape just cut some away to reveal wire, i would also recommend testing the wire with a meter and when you do find it make sure you put an in line 5 amp fuse on the wire because you dont wanna run the risk of damaging the LAN system in the event that something shorts out.
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics

Legend

I have always just run a on/off wire to a the fuse block under the hood to a source that shuts off with the ignition
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I would not "splice" into any wires. You can find a switched voltage source at the fuse box and also at the power distribution center. Then run a fused power wire from there. Splicing into wires under the dash is what the quickie alarm and stereo installers do. It's very quick, easy and unprofessional IMO and can cause electrical problems down the road that are very hard to diagnose. I have seen some real shoddy work under the dash that only a tech would ever see. OK, I'm off the soapbox now.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    I would not "splice" into any wires. You can find a switched voltage source at the fuse box and also at the power distribution center. Then run a fused power wire from there. Splicing into wires under the dash is what the quickie alarm and stereo installers do. It's very quick, easy and unprofessional IMO and can cause electrical problems down the road that are very hard to diagnose. I have seen some real shoddy work under the dash that only a tech would ever see. OK, I'm off the soapbox now.
    +1, this is what i did for my head unit, it is the best way to do it, and you dont have to search for wires, you just run your own

"splicing" or "tagging" onto a wire ARE just fine, his truck isnt the GMOS system and there ISNT a fuse box to the left above the driver kick panel where there is a switched accy post you can attach a wire to his LAN system is more sophisticated because its an 09, tagging a wire with a fuse is no different then attaching to a pre-made post only inexpericened people who think they can "install" would say something like that. That pink wire is the safest place to grab accy for anything besides WTF do you think the dealer attaches aftermarket back-up cams and overhead video systems to?

well im a supposed "wana be installer" then because i have always ran it to a pre made post i use the one off my fuse box under the hood alot which has worked pretty well of course running a fuse and its own switch pref one that lights up so you remember to turn it off. so i wouldnt splice anything if your not sure of it just for saftey sake.
    06 silverado

again the 2003 to 2007 classic are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different than 2008 to 2009 so yes there is a place under the hood to run the accy wire same with the little box right above the brake pedal to teh left near the kick panel in OUR style trucks, NOT his.....and running it off the hood post with a lighted switch so you can remember to turn it off? Dude thats unsafe never run an 18 guage remote wire off a constant 12 volt source under the hood thats pointless thats why our trucks have 2 accy wires under the dash, besides go onto any site that talks about installing anything aftermarket onto any of the years i listed and they will all tell you to grab the wire in the ignition loom, if they or I were wrong im pretty sure we would have alot of burned up chevy's on the road and i havent seen any in Orange County.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser-Wave View Post
    again the 2003 to 2007 classic are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different than 2008 to 2009 so yes there is a place under the hood to run the accy wire same with the little box right above the brake pedal to teh left near the kick panel in OUR style trucks, NOT his.....and running it off the hood post with a lighted switch so you can remember to turn it off? Dude thats unsafe never run an 18 guage remote wire off a constant 12 volt source under the hood thats pointless thats why our trucks have 2 accy wires under the dash, besides go onto any site that talks about installing anything aftermarket onto any of the years i listed and they will all tell you to grab the wire in the ignition loom, if they or I were wrong im pretty sure we would have alot of burned up chevy's on the road and i havent seen any in Orange County.
    +1 you should never tag it under the hood, the safest place is to tap it into the wire in the ignition loom. ESPECIALLY in 08 to 09 trucks....

05 Silverado Crew Cab, 5.3L engine w/ custom exhaust dumped before rearend, Superchips, custom paint matched mirrors, bumpers, bowtie, door buckets & tailgate bucket, Grippin billet door handles & tailgate handle, smoked taillights, HID lights, 2" lowering shackles, 20" rims, Toyo Proxes, Nu Image Red gauges, Pioneer D3 In dash, RE Audio comp/speakers, US Amps 1600.4 Xterminator amp, 4 10" pioneer shallow subs, Arc Audio KS 1000.1 amp, Autopage RS 1000 Remote Start & Alarm

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by