GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Headers?

Default Headers?

im looking for some nice headers for sound and performance for around 200 bucks. im not sure which ones are best and was wondering if you guys would name some that would best fit my budget.

another option i have instead of the headers, is an electric cutout. i know it will give me the sound, but would this give any performance?

which one would you prefer?

For only $200, you will have to find a set of used headers. I haven't ran across any headers that are so cheap brand new. Cutout is for sound, not really any performance.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

X2. the cutouts is definitely for the sound. as for the headers,you're better off saving a couple more $$ and get the headers that you really want. otherwise, i don't think you'll find one for $200.
    2K Bowtie Silverado xCab 5.3L
    7" Fabtech Suspension Lift + 3" Perf Acc. Body Lift
    K&N Air Intake + Edelbrock Shorty Ceramic Headers + Flowmaster Super 10 Series dumped after muffler!
    Bridgestone Dueler 285/75/16 on stock rims
    SSBC Slotted Rotors & Pads
    HID Driving & Fog Lights

(AR Bajas + ProComp 305/70/16) <-- seasonal set

well what are some good headers that would sound nice with a 5.3 silverado

here are the top brands out there: JBA, Gibson, Pacesetter, BBK, Headman, Thorley & Edelbrock. also, you have to factor the price differences in ceramic coated or not. and also if you want shorty or long tube headers

From what I've read, most people lean towards the long-tube headers for performance as compared to shorties. You can get a brand new set of PaceSetter Shorties for as low as $273.95: http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A2640208.aspx and PaceSetter Long-tube Headers for $318: http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A2600323.aspx from autoanything.com, that brand comes with a 3-year warranty. The long-tube headers are my next purchase after the DSP.

What is the difference between short and long tube headers? What kind of difference does the tube length make?

The basic answer is that long-tube headers provide better/more air flow, which in turns helps the engine breathe better, resulting in greater horsepower. Shorties are better than your stock manifolds though, going with them will help you gain hp also, but not as much as the long-tubes. Shorties provide in the low rpm ranges while long-tubes provide for mid to high rpm ranges. I'm sure other members can give a more detailed explanation.
    Last edited by Metaluzc; 06-16-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Metaluzc View Post
    The basic answer is that long-tube headers provide better/more air flow, which in turns helps the engine breathe better, resulting in greater horsepower. Shorties are better than your stock manifolds though, going with them will help you gain hp also, but not as much as the long-tubes. Shorties provide in the low rpm ranges while long-tubes provide for mid to high rpm ranges. I'm sure other members can give a more detailed explanation.
    you actually hit it right on the button. if you can run long tube headers where you live and not have to worry about passing a visual/smog check, i'd definitely go for the long tubes.

The one other factor is that shorties are generally a direct bolt in replacement for factory manifolds, where as longs require other exhaust fab/work.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by