GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Whiteman Air Force Base
    Posts
    16

    Default Gas to Diesel Swap - Chevy Silverado

    coming up real soon im planning on swaping the 350 gas, 2WD automatic engine in my 2500 silverado to what i want to be duramax 4WD 6 speed allison trans...im looking for ideas and or tips on how to go about doing this...and sites or trans codes or anything would be greatly appriciated
    Last edited by Whitey79; 06-16-2010 at 03:41 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    What year is your truck?
    Joseph


    Airforce Veteran (7 years)


    NRA Life Member

  3. #3

    Default

    More details are needed here. Year/Make/Model/Configuration of your truck is a good place to start.

    Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

    Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

  4. #4
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Whiteman Air Force Base
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    More details are needed here. Year/Make/Model/Configuration of your truck is a good place to start.
    1992 chevy silverado C2500 with the 350 Vortec and 5 speed auto trans, i wanna convert it to a K and do an engine swap from the 350 to a duramax with a manual allison trans, which duramax and trans should i be looking for, and any other tips or problems i may run into

    p.s. joe im in the active duty air force too :P

  5. #5

    Default

    Vortec in a 92? Five speed auto? Interesting

    Duramax, Allison, and add 4wd? I know there's a coolness factor to these kind of projects, but unless the parts are basically given to you, it will never pay. Remember you could wreck on the first trip out. Insurance is going to pay for a 92 Chevy pickup.
    Last edited by 2COR517; 06-17-2010 at 02:32 PM.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

  6. #6
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Whiteman Air Force Base
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    Vortec in a 92? Five speed auto? Interesting

    Duramax, Allison, and add 4wd? I know there's a coolness factor to these kind of projects, but unless the parts are basically given to you, it will never pay. Remember you could wreck on the first trip out. Insurance is going to pay for a 92 Chevy pickup.

    i could wreck it anytime really, and chances are im gonna convert it to a K series first then start looking for the duramax and trans, does that sound like a bad project?

  7. #7

    Default

    Nothing wrong with the project. I presume you intend to do a solid front axle? Might as well make it a D60 considering the Dmax and Allison in future plans.

    Who put the Vortec, and presumably Allison, five speed in?
    Last edited by 2COR517; 06-17-2010 at 03:19 PM.

  8. #8
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Whiteman Air Force Base
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the project. I presume you intend to do a solid front axle? Might as well make it a D60 considering the Dmax and Allison in future plans.

    Who put the Vortec, and presumably Allison, five speed in?
    yes with the axle, im not sure about the vortec, the owner before my dad owned it had it special ordered with the parts that it has on it, or the engine and trans really

  9. #9

    Default

    Converting a 2wd to a 4wd is no simple task. It takes a lot of work and precision, and figuring out what parts will do the job. I'm looking at doing a 4wd conversion on my suburban, but before I lift a wrench I'm going to have everything planned out perfectly. Things that can get you are things like how the lower suspension components are also the motor mounts, so you have to fabricate new motor mounts, the steering boxes are different, the spots to bolt spring hangers to will have to be measured and drilled, etc.
    Christopher

    1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half



    There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

  10. #10
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Whiteman Air Force Base
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Converting a 2wd to a 4wd is no simple task. It takes a lot of work and precision, and figuring out what parts will do the job. I'm looking at doing a 4wd conversion on my suburban, but before I lift a wrench I'm going to have everything planned out perfectly. Things that can get you are things like how the lower suspension components are also the motor mounts, so you have to fabricate new motor mounts, the steering boxes are different, the spots to bolt spring hangers to will have to be measured and drilled, etc.
    as far as i know the holes for the front end leaf springs and axle (possibly) should be drilled already because of the fact that the truck was made to have 4WD because the frames are all made the same for those size trucks...at least thats what ive heard, and what part of the suspension is for the motor mounts?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last: 03-19-2010, 11:50 PM
  2. these good motors for diesel swap?
    By bigchevy2500 in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 4
    Last: 01-25-2010, 07:10 PM
  3. info on gas to diesel motor swap
    By bigchevy2500 in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 3
    Last: 01-20-2010, 06:43 PM
  4. 03 04 Chevy Silverado K&N Air Filter Kit 6.6 Diesel New
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Parts eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last: 10-26-2009, 08:40 PM
  5. Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel Tire Rub
    By plawrencejr in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 4
    Last: 06-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •