GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Blog Entries

Default Overhead Console.

Curious for those who have put them in, did you get one from a different vehicle and if so was any modification needed? I considered building my own, but quickly trashed that idea.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

I bought one on eBay from a tahoe and put it in my regular cab. On mine, I cut some slots in a piece of wood that the clips go into so that the wood above the headliner holds it in place, since regular cab trucks don't have the double-wall roof. Some extended cabs have the double-wall roof, so the clips on the console will just clip right in if you have it, if not, then using my method works well. For the screw on the front, there is a spot cut out for the clip that the screw goes into, but on mine the clip was not there. I went to the dealership, and this clip did not show up in their parts system, so I took another look at it and realized that the clips used for the inside sunvisor clip is the same, so I went to a junkyard where they gave me one for free.

So, first things first, drop the front of your headliner to see if you have a double-walled (framing down the middle), or single wall. If you have double wall, all you will need is the console and the clip for the screw. If you only have a single-wall roof, you will need a small piece of wood (I used a piece about 10" long, by 2" wide and about 1/4" thick. I cut out 2 holes so that the clips fit in tight, then held it in place above the headliner as I clipped the console into it.

Also, it isnt a bad idea to get the clip for the front screw first, and punture the headliner where the screw will come through so that you can line your console up with that to cut the holes in the headliner. I believe factory consoles have a large hole cut out, but I would recommend cutting as little material as possible.

My long post makes it sound like a lot more work than it is, but it isnt that bad, especially if you have the double wall roof. Just take your time, and be careful cutting your headliner, and you'll be very happy with the outcome.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck